Tinnitus - are you afflicted?

by Glander 13 Replies latest jw friends

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I have had tinnitus since I was a child, so in a sense I am lucky, as I grew used to it. Yrs of dancing in front of massive speakers at festivals didn't help. This may seem strange but the way I dealt with it was to love it, not fear it. Some people get obsessed with the ringing, so cause mental health issues on top of the affliction.

• blondie
    blondie

I have it. It is a side effect of my medication. I have adjusted some to it over time tuning it out. I also use a low dose of ambien at night so I sleep (I know that some sources say it causes tinnitus but I used it after the tinnitus developed). I also listen to music to block it out with headphones. The best thing is to work with your doctor.

Treatments and drugs

By Mayo Clinic staff

Treating an underlying health condition
    To treat your tinnitus, your doctor will first try to identify any underlying, treatable condition that may be associated with your symptoms. If tinnitus is due to a health condition, your doctor may be able to take steps that could reduce the noise. Examples include:

• Earwax removal. Removing impacted earwax can decrease tinnitus symptoms.
    • Treating a blood vessel condition. Underlying vascular conditions may require medication, surgery or another treatment to address the problem.
    • Changing your medication. If a medication you're taking appears to be the cause of tinnitus, your doctor may recommend stopping or reducing the drug, or switching to a different medication.

Noise suppression
    In some cases "white noise" may help suppress the sound so that it's less bothersome. Your doctor may suggest using an electronic device to suppress the noise. Devices include:

• White noise machines. These devices, which produce simulated environmental sounds such as falling rain or ocean waves, are often an effective treatment for tinnitus. You may want to try a white noise machine with pillow speakers to help you sleep.
    • Hearing aids. These can be especially helpful if you have hearing problems as well as tinnitus.
    • Masking devices. Worn in the ear, similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.
    • Tinnitus retraining. A wearable device delivers individually programmed tonal music to mask the specific frequencies of the tinnitus you experience. Over time, this technique may accustom you to the tinnitus, thereby helping you not to focus on it. Counseling is often a component of tinnitus retraining.
  • Glander
    Glander

Thanks, Blondie. Good info., esp. about having some background noise. But sometimes I just lay in the dark and listen to it. I have learned to accomodate it without going crazy (I think).

PS, R&R let me know if the supplements help. Thanks

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I had a severe case of tinitus 'till last fall. It was in my right ear. Sometime in October, I had a majorly impacted upper left wisdom tooth removed. It took quite an effort to remove and required 3 stitches to close. The result was a lower to no whistling sound in that ear at all now. Perhaps the tooth was resting on a nerve near the ear canal.

Not sure if it will help anyone else. Helped me though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit