Tinnitus - are you afflicted?

by Glander 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

Tap a spoon on a crystal goblet - the ringing sound never stops. Sometimes birds also chirp, it is always there.

OTC remedies are useless. Mine started with a workplace situation that could have been prevented with simple ear plugs, but in those days nobody knew that extreme noise over a prolonged time could cause aural nerve damage.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Every so often,I have ringing in my ears. It is annoying.

I saw a recent Doctor's show on it. And one man had a serious problem with it. And they used some sort of sound therapy,that desensitized him to it,and it wasn't as loud.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Yah I went to the pharmacy and was given a box of anti-histamine which did Sweet Fanny Adams. I've given up. Let it ring....

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My husband has it ,and sometimes he really suffers because it can get very loud . He worked on engines for yrs ,and was in a band for a few yrs ,I am sure those things contributed to the damage .

• TD
    TD

Big time

OTC remedies are useless. Mine started with a workplace situation that could have been prevented...

Yep..

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just went to a talk last night by a scientist at Caltech who is applying engineering principles derived from studying zebrafish hearts to design a tiny device that treats tinnitus, among other things.

Here is an article about it: http://eands.caltech.edu/articles/LXXIV4/2012_Winter_Naturally_Inspired.pdf

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Glander

I have been afflicted with Tinnitus and loss of hearing in both ears for over two years. I finally made an appointment with an ENT last week and was given a dietary supplement called LIPO-FLAVONOID. I'm taking three pills a day to improve circulation in the inner ear. Hope it works!

The loss of hearing and the ringing in my ears are due to listening to loud music. I've been to over 200 hard rock,funk,and heavy metal concerts in my life. I started going to shows when I was 15 years old and attend shows even today with my son. We've seen Slayer,Rob Zombie,Ozzy,Ministry,Megadeth, Nevermore and hundreds of others. Some of these shows were so loud that we would go home with ears ringing for days. The louder the music the better the show!

The ENT told me that my ears are damaged and that Tinnitus may afflict me all my life. The ringing is worse when there is complete silence. The ringing is non-stop. I was told that the ringing will get worse as I age. I hope there is some relief in site for people with Tinnitus. If anyone knows of a solution please drop me a message.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Mine's so loud my imaginary friend had to move out.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Sorry, can you speak up a little....

• Glander
    Glander

I was twenty, working in a plant operating a drop hammer to stamp out light gauge metal. No problems. Then one day we set the hammer to stamp out an order of 1/4" thick, 2" diameter aluminum discs. The first few discs stamped were popping out but not clearing the die so it was very slow going. The solution was to bring in a high pressure air nozzle to blow each disc out of the way after each punch. The high pitched hiss of the air nozzle is what did my ears in. I finished the order over two 8 hour days. By the end of the first day I couldn't hear at all. My hearing came back over the period of about a week, but the ringing has never stopped and yes, it does get worse as you get older. I have lived with it for 46 years. Funny thing is I have pretty good hearing except when there is ambient noise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit