Chain of correspondence with Society regarding pedophilia

by cedars 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• steve2
    steve2
    WTS: We are sending a copy of your letter dated ********* to the elders and are asking them for their comments.
    Is this their way of informing the elder body who the trouble makers are and informing the trouble maker that he is now being exposed? For an organization that is steeped in secrecy, how else can a statement like this be interpreted?

I agree. Yet, from another perspective, the letter writer has (with good justification) made some pretty strong allegations against the elders and other things occurring in the kingdom hall. That being the case, those being accused have a right to know what is being said about them. In law, this comes under the concept of "natural justice". It doesn't excuse the Society's dull-minded response to the letters, though.

Back to a question I raised earlier, does anybody else find it extremely unbelievable that the letter writer actually stated in the letter to the Society that his life was endanger and that his vehicle had been tampered with and three lives were subsequently lost? Surely, such a serious matter must have come to the atention of a least some authorities, such as coroners, the police or the criminal justice system.

Can anyone bring any light to this extremely worrying aspect of the letters? I note that to date no one else has even commented on the death threats, vehicle tampering and subsequent deaths.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was astonished to see the letter writing appeared to stop at the author's allegation that (presumably) fellow Jehovah's witnesses not only tampered with his motor vehicle(s), but the tampering resulted in the deaths of three people.

Good LORD - do we really believe that the WTBTS/witnesses murdered three people over this issue by "fixing" their car brakes"???

This is exactly the kind of sensationaalism that leads to disbelief and harms the movement to make the WTBTS clean up their act on child molestation.

This is exactly the kind of stuff that got the Unthank contraversy going - and is much more inflammatory than the picture Unthank posted supposedly of the molested girl.

This is the kind of thing that makes ex-JWs look like idiots.

• steve2
    steve2

Good LORD - do we really believe that the WTBTS/witnesses murdered three people over this issue by "fixing" their car brakes"???

Yes, I did more than a double take, James when I saw the allegations about vehicle-tampering and 3 deaths. What also suprises me is no one else except you has commented on this astonishing aspect of the correspondence.

I'm kind of disturbed that this raises lots of questions about the letter writer. Some of the posters have commented on the Society's response to the letter writer's very good questions on relevant processes and policies in kingdom halls yet the writer's extremely serious allegations about car-tampering and subsequent deaths from that tampering elicited not one comment (with the exception of you and me).

I do wonder about the mentality behind aspects of some anti-JW literature.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thank goodness for your perspective Steve. This forum is getting worse for lacking critical distance to the point of looking foolish.

• therevealer
    therevealer

Probably because others did not read the same into the letters. It is somewhat vague and possibly perplexing therefore that less info is not given. But the letter does not say the jw's tampered with brakes and caused death. The car accidents where deaths resulted were non-witnesses and we are not able to get from the letter exactly what allegations are being made or if any are. I think the purpose of posting these is to get a feel for how the society responds to these problems and for that purpose they show them for what/who they are.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Ladies and Gentlemen: A few points could be made -

1) - of course it is a matter of record that the Watchtower Society has made every attempt to avoid public awareness that there are quite a number of child molesters and abusers in their midst. Certainly, they have made a morally corrupt effort to avoid taking these cases to the proper authorities.

2) - it is also quite clear that this is a very personal and very volatile issue with many ex-JWs. I could point to the recent courageous post by Lady Lee regarding her own family and a lifetime of living with this issue as evidence. When the emotions run high - people tend to color a little outside the lines, so to speak. I view the Unthank issue with the pictures as this kind of thing.

3) - Nobody - and I repeat NOBODY (that I know of) here on JWN is a sympathisizer with child molesters or the WTBTS who hides them.

Having said all that -

It seriously is time that we as ex-JWs who are bringing this issue to the front CLEAN UP OUR IMAGE. Mere publicity for no reason other than publicity will only hurt our cause. The above story including "murder by deliberate car accidents" is such an example - it does more harm than it helps because of the obvious unbelievability of the account. Do we think that the police are so stupid they would not notice three murders without the help of a small group of ex-JW protestors??? REALLY???

I think some serious mistakes have been made here: The first and foremost is the Barbara Anderson decision to attach herself to Rick Fearon and his brand of sensationalism. Poster Sab has stated that Barbara went on the six screens call to personally criticize people on JWN who do not agree with her. There have even been attacks made that JWN people who disagree with this kind of sensationalism are "not against JW child molestors". Baloney - we just don't want the case weakened by idiotic claims.

I have corresponded privately and publicly with both Sabastious and Cedars and think that they are heros of high quality in this issue. Cedars just put up what Barbara sent him.

I think it for us on JWN to use some good sense and stop this high drama of the phony - for the good of the past and future victims in the WT world.

In conclusion, it is high time we stopped chasing sensationalistic shadows and get our credibility in order.

• steve2
    steve2

Therevealer - you make plausible assumptions - I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Whatever you or I - or indeed the letter writer - assume, it requires care in how the assumptions are phrased. The letter writer certainly seemed to be implying perhaps more than the evidence warranted. I had a distinct feeling of "Uh-Oh" when his last letter suddenly lurched into the astonishing innuendo (up until that point, the letter had been cogent, considerate and nicely focused on the inadequacy of guidance and protocols for overseeing the safety of children in kingdom halls). I cannot fault the letter writer's earlier letters and most of the last letter. The lurch onto matters of serious criminality involving vehicle tampering and subsequent deaths - strongly implying witness involvement, otherwise why raise it in a letter to the Society? - is a puzzle that to date has been largely ignored by those intent on publicizing the letters. I suspect I would not have been the only one thinking "WTF?!" about that part of the last letter!

James: Excellent points - I've noticed how swiftly others bury your valid points in a flood of at-times personal criticism of you. Barbara has so many compellingly well observed points to say about the Watchtower - yet her willingness at times to pass on almost anything and everything sensational against the Watchtower is a concern.

SBF: Thanks. I take a "risk" that my motives will be questioned and I'll be on the end of personal attacks. Dejavu what happened in my old kingdom hall!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Thank you, Steve2.

It is my hope that reason shall prevail, and that in the end the protectors of the child molestors shall be found and exposed.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i agree with james woods 100%

• sizemik
    sizemik

james_woods I agree with what you're saying . . .

The loose connection with vehicle tampering is sensationalist because it has no supporting evidence and is unlikely. If there was any shread of truth then it could only be the work of some extremely bent individual . . . not something levelled at the Society's feet.

Your statement bears repeating . . .

When the emotions run high - people tend to color a little outside the lines, so to speak.

The big difference here with the Unthank case, is that the author is unavailable for comment/clarification. The high-running emotions in Steve's case also led to claims of bogus websites, fraud, hoaxes, etc., . . . even doubt that the man actually existed. Such claims are every bit as sensationalist and damaging as the emotional overload in the original claim. Both forms of transgression damage the cause and unwittingly aid the ongoing practice of child abuse by unneccesarily weakening the veracity of claims and claimants.

It cuts both ways . . . "Let him who comes before the court of equity do so with clean hands." All facts were easily verifiable . . . by a simple phone call for those who were that eager for facts. A number prefer to read accounts with their fingers hovering over a keyboard . . . and even ignore provided links entirely. Even reading past posts on the same thread, let alone past threads, is completely beyong their skill set. I've always maintained that some subjects deserve our personal consideration and some investigation. Steven admitted to his mistakes and regrets them. Lessons can be learned by all . . . but usually are, only by some.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit