Did you miss out on a career opportunity when you were a JW?

by moshe 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yes, I should have walked straight into university but wasn't allowed. During the time that I could have been getting a degree, I was underemployed and unemployed during a national financial recession.

I worked hard at clerical jobs and managed to work my up to getting a decent wage, but never got to salaried status. I needed proper education to get that.

So now, I've started a diploma course in a subject that I hope to turn into a new career. It might be 25 years later, but I'm finally going to get the education I wanted and deserved.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Well done Broken Promises. I like to hear things like that!

• designs
    designs

Architecture School, all picked out and set to go then the 68 W&A came out against college. We should have an icon with The Finger

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I wouldn't necessarily say that I missed out on a career as I really had no ambitions during my teenage and young man years. That's probably a result of WT upbringing, and to be fair, also being a young know-it-all, young-dumb-and full of cum. I will say that I passed up on a few different jobs which has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and resentment towards the WT.

The reason being was during one point I was in desperate need of a job, and a couple oppurtunities were at my disposal, but the Book Study arrangement as it was at the time in people's homes on Tuesday evenings, interfered. Or really I should say, the WT indoctrinated me to believe that those job oppurtunities would have interfered with the Tuesday night Book Study which for the past couple years was HEAVILY being emphasized in literature, in meeting parts, and during CO visits as THEE MOST IMPORTANT meeting. So I passed up on those job oppurtunities like a jackass. Then lo & behold I go to the Sunday meeting and went early as the COBOE had a letter to read to the Body. The letter made us aware of the Book Study arrangement coming to a close.

After the letter was read, I was shocked by this change as were the rest of those who heard what was read. On the way home, it hit me and caused me to be momentarily enraged. If I could have shot everyone on the GB at that point, I would have, and at the time I couldn't even name each one of the cocksuckers. They arbitrarily change this or emphasize that, and I think they're completely unaware of how much of what they say is capable of reaking havoc on people's lives.

• Glander
    Glander

One of my uncles was offered a job by Walt Disney studios in the early 40's because his artistic ability was noticed. He turned it down because the end was soooo close. He spent his life doing manual labor until he got a CO gig which lasted for 30 years when he died in an auto accident on his way to a field service meeting.

• scotoma
    scotoma

I was ready to audition for a major symphony at 18 but stopped because concerts always conflicted with meeting nights. Would have probably made it through the audition because my teacher was 1st chair in that section of the orchestra. The audition was just a formality.

But I did get to conduct the orchestra at my circuit assemblies. (back when we had live music)

Got tired of draft dodging pioneering and janitorial work at age 21 in 1966. Decided to go to assembly in Toronto and start attending University in the fall. They released the book "Life Everlasting in the Freedom of Son's of God" That was the publication that started the 1975 fiasco. I decided at that assembly to NOT go to college. After all, I could do janitorial work for the 9 years that remained to this system.

I have now been doing janitorial work for 47 years.

The really depressing thing is I had very liberal witness parents who were very active in the congregation. They repeatedly told me to go to college and were willing to pay whatever I needed. Instead I chose to pioneer and they refused to help me financially with "serving Jehovah".

Kinda my fault.

• moshe
    moshe

How about Charles Sinutko? He reportedly turned down a singing offer in California (in the 50's) that could have launched him into a successful career as a singer and perhaps even acting. The infamous JW who gave his life to the WT org as a pioneer, CO and DO and conned untold thousands of JWs with his convention talk in 1969 that made the phrase, "stay alive until 1975" the carrot for JWs who needed an excuse to not go to college or have a family. He is now an elderly JW living in trailer park in California. I wonder how much the WT corp pays him each month to keep quiet?

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I wanted to be a history teacher or a certified public accountant. Dropped out of college after two years to be a jw. Now I regret my course.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

No Room For George,

I for one can identify with your rage:

- more than a few times, I have maintained that the WTS is "nothing a plug of gelignite wouldn't fix!"

Bill.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember when I first became a witless, I was in a job that was basically a dead end. I was making around 4 toilet papers an hour, with around 35 hours a week. The work load was excessive for one person. I started browsing through job ads, and one stuck out where they wanted a computer programmer for $32 per hour with no experience required. At the time, I was thinking that it might involve the military or writing programs for "objectionable" video games, so I never replied to that ad.

Not that I was 100% guaranteed the job had I applied. But, due to the fear of getting involved with the military or some other "unscriptural" activity or having it interfere with pious-sneering or attending all the boasting sessions, I was 100% guaranteed of NOT getting the job because I never applied. And that was in the late 1980s, when 32 toilet papers actually meant something and could have been exchanged for 8 ounces of silver or 1/6 ounce of gold.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit