On what scriptures does the WT oppose higher education?

by matt2414 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They twist the scriptures to make it "stealing the word of God" if you are not wasting every minute, at great personal hardship, preaching to everyone at maximum possible efficiency. If you take time to attend college or get an education through online or CD courses, that is time you should have been preaching--hence, "stealing the word of God" from everyone you could have reached. And, if you get a decent job, the time you should have been preaching instead of working (never mind that work allows you to preach), you are "stealing the word of God" by not being out there.

Never mind the debt (which, to me, is the only legitimate reason to question attending college these days). Never mind the fact that you might be exposed to outside influences (though they do preach that, insinuating that everyone that attends college is a drunken, drugged slut that thinks only of sex, violence, and drugs all the time). No, the real reason is to keep people away from independent thinking and to make them waste their lives pious-sneering.

• Scott77
    Scott77

This is an interesting thread. I heard that the watchtower itself, paid full tuition benefits to a selected group of bethelites to take higher education. Some of them ended up working as Watchtower lawyers. Iam sorry, do not have proof but just heard that before. The problem in developing countries in particular, is that, all their governments do not have social security benefits such as medicaid, SSI, unemployment benefits, food stamps etc. to weather the hardships. Therefore, I think, most people in developed countries can at least, recieve government assistance or may find a low paying jobs like picking up apples. The watchtower is banking on their members to focus on lower paying jobs by avoiding higher education which translate to good pay and quality of life. The lesser people are educated, the easier it will be for them be controlled or manipulated. Iam not surprised that several key people who are smart are in fact, ex-JWs like Raymond. They are able to see white from black.

Scott77

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"insinuating that everyone that attends college is a drunken, drugged slut that thinks only of sex, violence, and drugs all the time"

Well, at least I'm not drunken, drugged, or thinking of violence and drugs all the time.

• matt2414
    matt2414

Thanks for all the information and links. After reading them over, I still don't see any scriptures that prohibit going to college. This seems to be a case of mere imperfect humans going "beyond what is written" in an effort to "lord it over" the congregation and "exercise authority over" its members. (Matt. 20:25) It is the height of hypocrisy to condemn so-called higher education in the publications but then use attorneys, architects and lawyers at the Watchtower headquarters. True Christians do not condemn something out of one corner of their mouths, but then out of the other corner praise selected individuals who can benefit their cause. The ends cannot justify the means.

The example of Baruch, Jeremiah's secretary, is taken out of context in an effort to discourage college. Baruch wrote down the prophecy of Jerusalem's doom from the mouth of Jeremiah and read it to the king, the princes and the people. He was an eyewitness to Babylon's seige on Jerusalem. What he did took a lot of courage and it made him weary. Understandably he sought "great things for himself," if great means wanting to live a life that wasn't all doom and gloom. It had nothing to do with trying to get a college education. You would have to twist the scriptures beyond recognition to make such an application.

At times the WT has praised individuals who go to technical schools, but even those schools are often more costly, have high drop out rates, and produce unreliable results in comparison to colleges. High school is praised even though many students leave with no useful job skills. Statements are made in the publications that a college degree has limited value and doesn't guarantee work, but in the same articles it mentions that people who get their degrees are materialistic and striving to be rich. You can't have it both ways. The articles don't mention that most jobs today do require a degree even if you have the skills. They also don't mention that you can earn various levels of degrees such as an associate's degree, a bachelor's degree, a master's degree or a doctoral degree, and most of these won't earn you wealth. Getting an associate's or bachelor's degree doesn't mean you're materialistic, it just means you want a job so you can fulfill your scriptural obligations.

To discourage fellow Christians from getting a proper education to support his family borders on apostasy when you consider Paul's warnings at 1 Timothy 5:8: "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever" and 2 Thessalonians 3:10: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

One more thought, why is it that the WT urges children to go to grade school through high school in the face of taunts, bullying, the flag salute issue, the holidays, sports, sex education, etc., even though they are only minors, but yet adult Christians are too weak for evolution classes and critical thinking courses in a more mature setting found at universities? There must be a hidden agenda here somewhere. It reminds me of the plantation owners who kept their slaves uneducated in order to control them.

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

Answer: None!

Bible warns against loving money.

WT built the fallacy that Higher Education is ONLY pursued by people wanting to become filthy rich, therefore a true Christian should not go to college.

They totally let out of the picture people going to college to learn, improve themselves, and yes, make a decent living. Which is -In my opinion- the reson the vast majority goes to college.

They also built the fallacy that you are exposed to 'bad companies' and critical thinking only in college. Young JW's will face that everywhere, even within the congregation (as far as 'bad companies'). I'd rather let my kids be around some 'worldly' friends than with some of the scumbags we have in our cong.

Again, no scriptural basis. That's why they don't ban it in writing, but then send their hounds (CO's) to say it from the platform, and privately threaten Elders to be removed if their kids go to college.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Well, at least I'm not drunken, drugged, or thinking of violence and drugs all the time.

Very reassuring that you spend plenty of time thinking (and hopefully engaging in) the other one Billy.

George

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Not pursuing Higher Education is actually against the Bible.

The morons of the GB are 'blind guides of blind brainless dubs' and YHWH will give them their 'full reward'.

NOLAW

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Marked! Great thread.

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

JW's teaching their followers to pound sand pretty much. Knowlege curve is exploding with the internet. Rate of growth and rate of change (of knowledge) is exploding with technology. JW's are allowed to have the convenience of INDOOR PLUMBING????

I think not!!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

BUMP!!

I talked to a relative who is an Elder about this. His take was that if you sent your kid away from home to live on campus, then you would not be an example to the flock. Therefore, you could not be an Elder or MS, ect. This was a few years ago. Now the GB are even dictating how much education equals higher education. 2-3 years is "additional", but 3+ years is "higher." LOL!! Show me the scriptural grounds for that rule!

I remember asking the Elder, " What if I want to send my kid to school to be a lawyer for the WTBTS?" His face reddened slightly and he said, " THEY DON'T NEED ANYMORE LAWYERS!" Whatever that meant...

It's really all about control. If you are beyond their reach, they cannot control what you see and hear, and think. They don't like that. Nothing makes a control freak more upset than being ignored or challenged. The WTBTS provides only certain information to it's prospective members. They know that by doing this ( which is actually lying ) the prospective member is likely to reach the conclusion the WTBTS wants them to reach. That is precisely why they practice information control, revisionist history, ect. Learning anything else drastically reduces the chance of someone joining the cult, or staying in it. The GB fear information and reasoning ability more than anything else. If they really had "THE TRUTH" then they would have nothing to fear.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit