On what scriptures does the WT oppose higher education?

by matt2414 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• matt2414
    matt2414

Recently the WT has taken a stricter stand regarding going to college and getting a higher education. Does anyone know what scriptures the WT uses to support this? I can't find any in the Bible. What's their reasoning? If God created our amazing brains that we can hardly put to full use in our short lifetimes, why would the WT deny its members from using them as God intended?

When Solomon asked for wisdom, God very generously complied. Adam was taught by God, Moses was given knowledge by the Egyptians, God filled the man Jesus with wisdom and knowledge, and he searched out Paul, an educated man, to be an apostle. I don't see the WT's basis for opposing knowledge.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

There isn't one. But while we're on the topic, check this out:

College graduates score higher-paying jobs

So why exactly do those 7 Guys in Brooklyn have such an issue with their followers pursuing Higher Education?

• glenster
    glenster

1917 "My advice is, then, give your children an education up to public school
    limit, not even attempting to take them through high school, for they get plenty
    of Higher Criticism [sic] in the high schools, and it will not be long before
    they have it in the common schools also." ("What Pastor Russell Said, "1917,
    pp.57,58) (See 1969, 1989. 1992, and 2006)
    http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/wrong-with-being-jehovahs-witness.php

At the next link put "higher education" in Edit > Find.
    http://gtw6437.tripod.com/id12.html

Going to college means giving up time for going door to door to gather money
    for the JWs leaders when the end is nigh.

College is probably also discouraged because in USA colleges most teachers
    identify themselves as liberal.

Related example--Santorum: Just Say No To Education
    http://jonathanturley.org/2012/01/26/santorum-just-say-no-to-education/

v It had been discouraged for decades by 1941.

• yknot
    yknot

LOL...'RECENTLY'.....

I purposely didn't read over nor paid attention to the recent WT discussing such matters.....but a quick search of the CD yielded.

*** w11 6/15 pp. 29-30 "Make Your Way Successful"-How? ***

Higher Education?

A Christian has a Scriptural obligation to care for his family, and that includes providing for their material needs. (1 Tim. 5:8) Still, does this really require a college or a university degree?It would be good to consider what effect pursuing higher education could have on one's relationship with Jehovah. Let us illustrate this by considering a Scriptural example.

Baruch was the secretary to the prophet Jeremiah. At one point, rather than focusing on the privileges he had in serving Jehovah, Baruch became ambitious. Jehovah noticed this and through Jeremiah warned him: "You keep seeking great things for yourself. Do not keep on seeking."-Jer. 45:5.

What were the "great things" that Baruch kept seeking? He may have been tempted to make a name for himself in the Jewish system of things. Or the great things could have been material prosperity. In any case, he had lost sight of the more important things, those having spiritual value. (Phil. 1:10) Yet, Baruch obviously listened to Jehovah's warning through Jeremiah and thus gained his soul as a spoil.-Jer. 43:6.

What can we draw from this account? The counsel Baruch received indicates that something was amiss. He was seeking great things for himself. If you have a means of supporting yourself, do you really need to spend time, money, and effort on further education just to realize personal aspirations or those of your parents or other relatives?

Consider Grzegorz, a computer programmer. Persuaded by his colleagues, he took up an intensive course of additional specialized training. Soon he had no time left for spiritual pursuits. He recalls: "I constantly felt on edge. My conscience troubled me because I could not reach the spiritual goals I had set for myself."

• blondie
  • yknot
    yknot

I love Paul's site....

Here is another goodie from the WTS via JWFACTS ( http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/truth.php scan available on site too!!!)

"Receiving the gift, the marching children clasped it to them, not a toy or plaything for idle pleasure, but the Lord's provided instrument for most effective work in the remaining months before Armageddon."Watchtower 1941 September 15 p.288

This statement of course is to bolster the message from 1941's DC theme and book release "Children" ....

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Be like Baruch, a secretary. Don't aspire to "great things for yourself!"

That's wrong, Wrong, WRONG!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I really like this one:

"Remember, too, that "the time left is reduced." (1 Corinthians 7:29). - w 99 09/01, p. 17 - Youths-Train Your Perceptive Powers!

That's right, the "time left is reduced" ... and it has been since 1874, er 1914, no 1925, I mean 1975 .... whatever, it's reduced.

How ironic is the title of the article: Youths-Train Your Perceptive Powers!

Just don't get 'em TOO perceptive or you'll notice what a scam this whole thing is!!!

Just for fun:

"A university degree may or may not improve your employment prospects. But one fact is indisputable: "The time left is reduced"! (1 Corinthians 7:29) - Awake! 1989 May 8 p.13

Ten years before the previous quote "the time left is[/was] reduced" so it must REALLY be reduced now 13 years later. Actually that's 23 years, 13 + 10 = 23. This is getting confusing!?!? Anybody have a calculator?

But wait, there's more!

"In view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous" - km 1969 Jun p.3

If it was a "short time left" way back in 1969 things must REALLY, REALLY be "reduced" now!!!!! Holy moly!!!

13 + 10 +20 = 43 years!

Any minute now they'll be asking: Is it Later Than You Think?

Oh, they are doing that this summer, reprising 1968 ....

It's getting late and I must go ...

Things that make you go, "Hmmmm .... "

• yknot
    yknot

Here is another....

*** w11 11/15 p. 19 par. 11 "Temporary Residents" in a Wicked World ***

11 Vigilant Christians refrain from using the world to the full with regard to higher education. Many people in this world consider higher education an indispensable stepping-stone to prestige and an affluent life. But we Christians live as temporary residents and pursue different goals. We avoid "minding lofty things." (Rom. 12:16; Jer. 45:5) Since we are Jesus' followers, we heed his warning: "Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of covetousness, because even when a person has an abundance his life does not result from the things he possesses." (Luke 12:15) Consequently, young Christians are encouraged to pursue spiritual goals, getting only as much education as is required to meet their basic needs while focusing on preparing themselves to serve Jehovah 'with their whole heart, soul, strength, and mind.' (Luke 10:27) By doing so, they can become "rich toward God."-Luke 12:21; read Matthew 6:19-21.

and

*** w11 11/15 p. 24 par. 4 Help Men to Progress Spiritually ***

4 Men often put material security ahead of spiritual pursuits. Getting higher education and securing a well-paying job are priorities for many of them. According to their way of thinking, the reward of making money is more urgent and practical than any benefits that might come from studying the Scriptures and seeking a close relationship with God. What the Bible teaches may appeal to them, but "the anxieties of this system of things and the deceptive power of riches" choke whatever interest they may have. (Mark 4:18, 19) Consider how Jesus helped his disciples to adjust their priorities.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Since when has WT needed scriptures in order to oppose something?

They oppose higher education because smart people leave WT. It's easy enough to twist some scripture about Satan to do the job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit