A “Born ins” challenge to develop a "post cult" personality.

by stuckinamovement 42 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I know how you Feel Siam, I was a born in also. I took many years for me finaly build my own Life.

It's a very difficult project to just start over, especially in mid-life, or even later.

Doc

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

well written 'Stuck'! I enjoyed that, and identified with it....technically I am not a born-in (indoctrinated starting at age 5-6ish) but pretty dang close. I remember the first few weeks of the blinders coming off...I actually sobbed a few times, totally overcome with emotion realizing it was all fake. I am still partially living a lie, since I still pretend like I believe (for my wifes sake) although fortunately we don't go to 100% of the meetings. So I am stuck and can't fully develope my post cult personality yet. I do love so much not having to run the hamster wheel though....& no more meeting parts is something I revel in almost every day.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I really like your threads, SIAM- you write like only someone caught in a dilemma can....

Hell, it’s no big deal to leave the cult mentality behind- you just spend a year researching the Witnesses, the Bible, and Jehovah, and it will all turn to ashes, leaving you standing completely alone and free. The challenge is to move ahead in a positive direction; after the Watchtower Society and your own parents have done everything possible to sabotage your life.

2 points: Every minute you spend in Watchtower activity is another minute wasted from your life that you will never get back;

and: You are the head of your family- you lead, they follow. If you change nothing; nothing will change.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

SIAM - well written! You've expressed almost exactly what I was thinking about on my ride home from work today.

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

I definitely think the born-ins have it the hardest b/c most of their families (many of them) are JWs too. So when/if you leave the ORG, you're totally on your own. :(

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I"ve wondered the same thing myself. Being born into the religion,is part of me. I don't think I can truly be seperate from that. I just hope to take some of the values I agree with,and leave the mind control and judgmental attitudes in the past.

It's a struggle though,when things I should have had planned or figured out in my 20's,I'm dealing with now.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

As long as there are loved ones of ours that still remain inside the JW religion, it's something that will stay with us as long as any of them are still alive. It isnt something any of us can completely leave behind. Some fragments of the old ways and old thinking will stay with us always...

V665V665

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

What a nice post SIAM, I wonder if I classify as a born-in (mom studied when I was only 6 months old! lol) I'm starting to do more "worldly" stuff now without feeling bad about it. But some parts of me are still clinging to the Society I admit.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

good topic (bookmarking)

• tornapart
    tornapart

Good post SIAM.. as always! To be honest I don't think I'll ever truly know 'who' I am. There are so many different things going on inside that I sometimes haven't got a clue what is the 'real' me and what isn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit