185 people died in a matter of seconds

by sizemik 35 Replies latest social current

• sizemik
    sizemik

EE, BP, glenster . . . cheers. Thanks for the wiki link . . . very good set of data and facts.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Wellington, seen as our most quake prone city (and capital), is instituting strict new regulations to quake proof old buildings or demolish within 2 years . . . at owners expense. All buildings are going to be graded according to risk and the information posted on the front door to inform the public of the relative risk of entering...." sizemik

That is a decent beginning....

I'm often amazed at how resistant people can be to regulations limiting construction in quake-prone areas to ensure that ONLY buildings with STRICT earthquake-resistant construction are erected...

Imagine an entire city being rebuilt, bit by bit, to conform to such standards... It sounds as if Wellington is the experimental "type" for that technique....

Just between you and me, I've often wondered whether certain types of "temporary" housing, like modular [mobile homes, trailer homes] housing with flexible utility links and extremely strong, shock-absorbing "tie-downs" would be the way to go in earthquake-prone areas....

Or - and this is wild, I know, but - Mongolian gers... Yurts...

Or Berber-style tents... But those aren't as "weather-proof" as yurts...

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It's all such a heartbreak it seems like it never ends and I wish we could make it stop but it goes on and on. It's worse when it's a personal loss and I hope you heal as best you can soon.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

sizemik:

I am so sorry about that. My condolences to your friends.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Thank you for the reminder sizemik

• sizemik
    sizemik

nancy drew, LongHairGal, Heartofaboy . . . thank you. I know the world is full of tragedy and loss . . . but the casualties are often too quickly forgotten. I hate that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit