Talking Points for when Witnesses Come to your Door

by truth_b_known 31 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

A few weeks back I came home from work and found the latest copies of the Watchtower (Armageddon fearmongering) and Awake!(social media site nonsense) lying on the counter. It was obvious Witnesses had stopped by the house. My wife said nothing of the visit.

This past Saturday morning my kids tell me there is someone at the door. Low and behold it is the Witness couple that left the magazines with my wife. We exchanged some pleasantries and then the husband shared a Bible verse. He is up in years and mentions that he may not live to see Armageddon, but truly believes it's coming (and soon).

Let me get to the point of the topic I have started and I realize it is not exactly new. I think we need to assemble a brief manual on what to say to Witnesses when they come to our door. For Ex-Witnesses, we are familiar with the concept of being prepared to give a "fine witness".

I'm looking for serious minded responses to this concept. I do not believe the circus-like demonstrations against Witnesses does anyone any good. Protests and picketting outside Kingdom Halls only strengthens the convicitons of Witnesses.

Quite honestly, I am at a lost to where to even begin. I know the advice to never debate doctrine has been given. What other rules would you apply?

Here are some of my rules:

Rule #1: Always be polite and respectful.

Rule #2: Do not tell them you used to be a Witness. This means avoid using Witness terminology.

Rule #3: If you share a scripture, use any Bible other than the NWT.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Those are good rules. Here's mine (This also goes for telemarketers on the phone, cops, annoying neighbor, deadbeat cousin, and the Mormons)

Rule #1: Tell them to "F*ck off!"

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TRUTHBEKNOWN: I am an eleven year "fader" and if I ever answered the door to see JWs there, I would say "Sorry, I am not interested" and immediately close the door in their faces. End of discussion. I don't see the point in engaging them in conversation. You are only encouraging them to come back.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

"You are only encouraging them to come back." - LongHairGal

You're 100% correct. However, they always comes back.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

It's difficult because they are prepared for so many different kinds of people. Those rules you mentioned are difintely ones I would try to follow. I agree that picketing and other "attacks" only push they closer to the Borg and do nothing to help anyone. Being rude towards them in FS yields the same "persecution" effect.

It's also difficult because you cannot presume to know to much about them otherwise they may suspect something of you. I suppose bringing up different topics with the phrases:

"I have heard that...."

"I was curious about Jw's and did some research and found out that...."

"I have been reading the literature left with me over the years and noticed that...."

----->That at least allows you to seem curious while still remaining aloof and showing that you will not just accept whatever they say.

Some good topics for discussion are:

-Disfellowshipping and shunning policy

-methods used by the Society to uphold 607BCE(i.e misquotations)

-flip flopping doctrines

-Being God's channel of communication yet not inspired nonsense

-The distaste for those who leave the religion

----------http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/rhetorical-fallacy.php

At least those are topics that are not directly towards their doctrine and more towards their methods as a religion. Those are ones that I would choose to discuss with them

• Ding
    Ding

You need to figure out what you want to accomplish.

Do you want to get them to reconsider a particular doctrine?

Do you want to educate them about the WTS' UN NGO involvement?

Do you want to show them WT flip flops?

Do you want to show them WT false prophecies?

Do you want them to put you on their Do Not Call list?

You need to figure out your objective before you can plan out an approach.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Simple = No Thank You !

Its their problem to resolve.

And as a option you could say go to jwfacts.com to learn about what really is " The Truth " about WTS. Publishing House.

Most JWs haven't a clue of why and whom started this religious publishing house.

The WTS. imposed a policy or doctrine of fear into people's minds to promote the proliferation of the organization's literature.

Thats a bit blunt, but thats the truth at the core reason why strangers you've never met before show up at your front door with

Awake and Watchtower magazines in their hands.

• maksym
    maksym

I think my approach to this would be to have a short series of questions ready that they can answer.

These questions be yes or no answered and lead to a quick conclusion if the witnesses were under mind control.

Question 1 example; I notice you enjoy studying the Bible with people and it looks like you have a lot of magazines and books to help you study. Does all your Bible training come from one publisher or source when studying the scriptures or can you investigate theology by other sources on your own.

Something along those lines. This first question is leading into the BITE model of mind control. Information control. A series of 4 or 5 questions could be asked along these lines. In the end you could tell them they are under mind control much like Scientologists and that they need to seek help from a psychologist. I would use tact however and word it properly without being offensive.

I also have preached quite effectively to Jehovah's witnesses about Church history. Knowing they have no history to stand on.

Question example; Imagine the year is 1850, which was not too long ago, and the day is Sunday, and you wanted to serve God and worship him. You want to study the Bible and learn about God. Where would you go to do this? What church would you attend?

This question leads them to understand that God would not abandon people in any age to spiritual darkness. Use support from Mathew 16:18

And finally another way I use to get them to think is to show them the faults of Sola Scriptura, or the Bible alone mentality that the protestants have. I personally am not protestant. Therefore I use a reasoning to show them their interpretations can be wrong. Their reasoning book does not give them much support in this area.

Comment and Question example: I don't believe the Jehovah's witnesses watchtower publishing company interprets the Scriptures correctly. Everyone that uses the Bible has their own interpretation wouldn't you agree? And wouldn't you agree that their are thousands of different religions, with new ones added each day? Everyone has a different view of the Bible. Why do you believe you have the correct interpretation of Scripture?

This kind of question leads me to show Scriptures in the Bible about tradition such as 2 Thess 2:15 as well as the council of Jerusalem decision in Acts to show that the "Church" is a composite of these three in which the Holy Spirit was guiding all along. However if your not Catholic or Orthodox you may want to avoid this approach because it sets up the conversation toward that end.

Finally,

I usually tell them that I believe C. T. Russell started the Watchtower corporation and began the Bible student movement. They agree. I then ask in such a way that will put them in an ackward position to support Russell as being a person able to interpret Scriptures on his own.

Possible Question; Can a person study the Bible alone and come to a correct understanding? Wait for answer. Why was C.T. Russell able to come to a supposed correct understanding of Scripture when millions of people through the ages before were not able? Can you prove Russell was a Holy man much like the apostles and that the Holy Spirit guided him.

This approach can set up the scenario in which you claim that Jehovahs Witnesses theology and corporation developed from a man in recent history. Another question based on the idea that their interpretations are wrong would be.

How do you know that your religion is not been corrupted by false interpretation from a man like Russell who studied the Bible alone?.

Anyway that is how I usually approach things from these three angles. More questions can be added as the situation develops.

Another question I just thought of that I asked some witnesses one day was; How do you know your not in a false religion?

I look forward to learning some other ways too.

Peace

Maksym

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Doesn't Hassan recommend something like "Tell me three things you like about your group" then follows up with "Tell me one or two things you don't like about your group." This immediately opens them up to the possibility that there may be something wrong with their group.

Debating scriptures is a waste of time. The WT has done their work for them. That is unless you want them coming back over and over.

The only other thing I would like to try is using actual literature, like the 1969 Awake, asking for an explanation of their words. Might not get them to leave but its definitely a false prophecy.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Hassan's method is about as good as it gets. By asking about "good things" the person will be at ease, feel happy to share those good things with you, and feel some pride in the fact they have dedicated themselves to "good." The follow up question of "what bothers them most" innocently opens the door to further questioning. It's the kind of question they will ponder well after they leave the door.

The 607 stuff has limited value really. The average witness doesn't have the mental inclination or capacity to question stuff like this. Why would I question this? It would shipwreck my faith!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit