Question about the memorial :)

by TimothyT 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I have no doubt that in a few weeks when the campaign to spread Memorials Invites is underway that my good friend, the JW, will give me an invitation. She has already told me that she would support me when walking in, telling me that I could sit next to her and she wouldn’t give a damn what others would think that she was encouraging a disfellowshipped person. She is very sweet, and I appreciate her thoughts.

However, I would rather not go because I believe the whole thing is done wrong anyway. This will be the first memorial in my life that I have missed. From my studies and my reading the bible, I THINK I have come to appreciate though that I do not need to attend such a meeting to show my appreciation for Jesus. I already appreciate who he is, and I ESPECIALY appreciate what he has done for me. In fact I think I appreciate this more than MANY JW's ever will!

So do I really need to go to a commemoration of Jesus death?

Tim

• laverite
    laverite

Hi Tim! Commemorating the death of Jesus is something you can do without JWs and their memorial production. x

• still thinking
    still thinking

I will NEVER attend one of their reject Jesus ceremonies again. Not in this lifetime...or the next.

The whole thing just creeps me out now when I think about it.

• Azazel
    Azazel

TimothyT i understand where your at . I went to last years memorial as a DF person, kinda hedging my bets at the time. Like you this will be the first memorial by JW that i have missed in my 41 years on earth. Man we just have to reaffirm the true truths from the bible and not give credance to the Jesus is only special today day called the memorial.

Still think what if im wrong but i know they are wrong arent they?

Az

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

You probably already know the answer, TT. Once you have taken Communion in a church the Memorial seems completely meaningless in comparison. Plus, you may weaken your well-meaning friends position in the cong....

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

To attend is to give credence and support for the whole farce, which is an insult to Jesus.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I suppose you could always pretend to be annointed so you don't have to reject Jesus.

And it is the only day of the year they give much honour to him at all.

But in reality it will just be another session to push the reasons why you should listen to the GB and how important THEY really are. And how the world is doomed.

Such fun!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

After I faded it felt strange to skip the Memorial after 44 yrs. I went to a local church instead that offers communion to everyone visitors included .....doing that seemed a hundred times more significant in honoring Jesus than any JW Memorial ever did . After that ,the Memorial just seemed ridiculous .

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Do any other professedly Christian churches do anything similar to the memorial, I mean where nobody actually consumes the emblems? I have a dim recollection that in the catholic church at one point only the priests ate the bread and drank the wine but I may be wrong on that.

• bioflex
    bioflex

1Co 11:23 - 26 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

I have been to the JW's memorial once and its nothing like in the scriptures above, i dont think i would ever set my foot to any one of their memorial services.

On the other hand.

1Co 11:27 - 31 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

So the question is, do you regard yourself worthy to partake in the communion?, the scripture says let each man examine himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit