Latest Study Article: Was Jephthah surprised at his daughter coming out?

by garbonzo 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rocketman
    rocketman

No one in Israel could put even a rebellious child to death without approval of the elders (Deut 21:21). Though Jepthah did indeed defeat the Amorites, that did not place him above the Law.

The weeping over virginity could well have been due to the fact that Jepthah's family line would cease, since his daughter was his only child.

There are commentators who do argue that Jepthah's daughter was indeed killed, so the idea can have some traction when reading the Bible. The very fact that the question comes up shows that it's not easily determined either way. Indeed, commentators also argue against death in this case and instead for consecration at the Tabernacle. Personally, after looking at both sides, I lean toward the latter. I'm not going to rail against anyone who wants to argue otherwise, nor make put-down remarks such as "Jesus, do you guys read much?".

• bioflex
    bioflex

rocketman:It was not a human sacrifice. Jepthah would have exercised the option of redeeming his daughter by means of a lamb as an offering instead.

The girl weeped over her virginity, which would be perpetual due to her temple service. She wasn't weeping over her untimely death.

are you kidding me ?. The guy who made the oath said he was going to offer a burnt offering, not a person for life servitude.

Judges 11: 36 - From the horses own mouth

And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth;

Judges 11 : 39

And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed

need i say more?.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit