Latest Study Article: Was Jephthah surprised at his daughter coming out?

by garbonzo 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

Paragraph 15: "He vowed that if God gave Ammon into Jephthah's hand, the first one to come out of the door when he returned home would be Jehovah's. As Jephthah returned home from subduing Ammon, his daughter came running to meet him. (Judg. 11:29-31, 34) Did this come as surprise to Jephthah? Not likely, for he had but one child."

When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried, “Oh no, my daughter! You have brought me down and I am devastated. I have made a vow to the LORD that I cannot break.”

This doesn't make sense. If he wasn't surprised, why did he state the above????

If he KNEW should would come out, then why make the promise and then say the above???

If he thought of the POSSIBILITY, why does the Watchtower say he likely wasn't surprised BECAUSE he only have one daugter???

Does this make sense to you? The only possible explaination I came come up with for those that really want to reach is that he knew his daughter was going to come out, but he was still devastated? Umm... because it just now finally hit him??? Uhhh.... Yeah, we'll go with that. =P

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

That is pretty contradicting! But maybe he would've given one of his servants perhaps? Idk. Haha imagine if his mom would've been the first one to come out of his house

• soft+gentle
  • soft+gentle
  • soft+gentle
  • soft+gentle
  • garbonzo
  • transhuman68
  • designs
    designs

These herniated explanations are necessary in order to get young people into Pioneering and Bethel Service under the urging of their parents.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried, “Oh no, my daughter! You have brought me down and I am devastated. I have made a vow to the LORD that I cannot break.”

( quietly, under his breath, Jepthah ask his assistant "How was that, was that over the top a little, did you think that she bought it? Really cause I can add more,.. no, okay great then, let's see how it plays out"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit