What makes JW's think all is "Truth" now ?

by Phizzy 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am an ancient Mayan, sorry ancient man. Yep, all the doom-mongers ignore the steady progress made by the human race, it doesn't fit in with an end-times scenario, so more Cog. Diss. for them.

I tried asking this question of a JW who was a MS, putting it in the form of "When did the "Truth" become the truth and how do you know it is ?" and I got the deer in the headlights look. He was the same guy who admitted to me that they take scriptures out of context in a totally dishonest way, he said, "I don't care as long as it gets them listening at the door " !!!!

Maybe the first four words of the thread title were a mistake, I should not have put JW's and think in the same sentence.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    What makes JW's think all is "Truth" now ?

Logical fallacies and propagandist writing.

They want it to be true because without it they've got naff all left. That's why I found it traumatic to leave 50 years of belief. My whole world had to be re-written.....and ~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm still writing it.

I'm glad I'm out of it though!

• Ding
    Ding

Alfred's "mere repetition" answer makes a very important point.

Constantly hearing the WT system referred to as "the truth" conditions JWs to believe it must be the truth.

Constantly referring to the WT system and doctrines as "the truth" yourself makes it that much harder to lose face by entertaining the thought that some part of it isn't true. You think problems you see must be with you or with one or two brothers, not with the WTS itself.

Constantly hearing everything other than the WTS denounced as satanic makes it that much harder for JWs to consider alternative ideas.

Hearing the teachings repeated over and over and not allowing yourself to investigate alternatives also locks JWs into the mindset that it must be the truth.

Constant use of the terminology "brother" and "sister" makes it that much harder for JWs to ask themselves if the WTS is really the loving brotherhood that it claims to be.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The official explaination is that even when they are wrong, their statements have "seeds of truth."

Meaning that these lies eventually sprout into truths. Or at least that is how I understood the seed of truth thing.

• TOTH
    TOTH

I think it has to do with stubborn PRIDE. I imagine it is hard to admit you spent your life chasing rainbows and being made fool of. Maybe it's easier to just keep plugging along instead of moving on?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Funny how their "truth" is usually wrong.

• garyneal
    garyneal

According to my wife, they do their honest research and are humble enough to correct anything that they see as wrong.

This is in contrast to most churches that hang on to false teachings like the Trinity and hellfire, celebrating holidays, and continuing to follow other pagan customs.

That is why she believes in 607 in spite of finding no support for it outside the Watchtower. Those honest researchers surely would've corrected it by now if indeed 607 is wrong.

• Sulla
    Sulla

^ Perfect example of perfect JW circular thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit