Higher Education ... Thoughts, Tips, Money-saving Ideas

by RubaDub 19 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

While I have a Bachelors and Advanced Degree from a very well-respected university, it makes me cringe when I see what people spend (or think they need to spend) to get a college degree. Having taken a few non-traditional steps to get my education, here's a few thoughts and ideas to think about if your kids are getting to be college age or if you (like many JW's) are thinking about going to college later in life:

1. Community Colleges are a Bargain!

Go to a large university, and in all likelihood in your first year or so, you are in huge classrooms/lecture halls with hundreds of students. You may have very little contact with your Professors the entire semester. The basic, core courses taught at most colleges are very similar. For example, English I and English II at your local community college will be very similar to English I and English II at your State University, etc. The main difference will be the Community College will be about 60-80% less than the cost of the State University.

2. Choose your courses carefully at a Community College

If you plan on a 4 year degree, DO NOT take courses at a Community College that are unique to that school. THEY WILL NOT TRANSFER TO THE UNIVERSITY. If you know what you want to major in at the University, go to the University, get the list of classes you would be taking if you attended there, and talk to a counsellor on the equivalent classes at the Community College. If possible, talk to a counsellor at both the Community College and the University. If you take the proper courses with the University degree in mind, all of the courses should transfer without any problems. Take my word for it: I once tried to transfer a course entitled "American Theatre" to a University that had a course called "Theatre." The Univeristy would not accept it as an equivalent course without me providing a syllabus of the course, show my exams, speak with the head of the department, etc. etc. In the end, I got credit for the course but it was barely worth the hoops I had to jump through.

3. Don't worry about the lack of "prestige" of a Community College

If you plan on getting a University degree, it makes virtually no difference where you studied for the first two years. When a future employer or someone wants to know "where did you go to school", you just mention the name of the University: Penn State, University of Delaware, University of Kansas, etc. What you did before that is of little interest to most people and/or recruiters. For example, if you say you have a bachelors degree in Finance from Florida State with a 3.5 Grade Point Average, that is what they want to hear.

4. Get good grades

I cannot stress this enough. If you don't want to work hard, try something else. If your kids aren't doing well in high school, then a technical school may be a much better choice. You can make a good living as an electrician, welder, or machinist and they can't export your job to a call center in Asia. However, keep in mind that college required a lot of dedicated effort. It typically gets much tougher in college than in high school.

5. Scholarships

Apply for anything you can find. Colleges, large and small, have hundreds if not thousands to apply for. Apply for anything that looks like it fits, throw it at the wall and see what sticks. Even a few small scholarships can add up in the long run. You will be competing with others who want the same benefits. Better to get a a few small scholarships (small $500-$1000 ones) than have to add it to a student loan. Also, check scholarships that are specific to a particular niche. For example, a wealthy alumnus with a love a roses may have made a significant donation in perputuity as a scholarship to a worthy student. It sounds a bit tacky but spend a few days, learn all you can about roses, and apply for the scholarship based on your love of roses and desire to learn more. Believe me, there are hundreds of scholarships like this. Also, if you keep your grades in the top 20% or so (A's and B's) you will have many more opportunities for scholarships and benefits.

6. Take summer courses

If you just need to crank out some credits as electives to fulfill the total, summer courses can be great. Many are set up where you take a course for just a few weeks but several hours a day. In a typical semester course, you may attend class twice a week for an hour and half each class for a total of 3 hours a week. In a 14 week semester that would be a total of 42 hours. However, as a summer course, you could go to class 2-3 hours a day for 3-4 weeks and get the required hours. Take a course in the the morning and another in the afternoon and you can complete what would otherwise be a half-semester of work in just a month. Some colleges even have an early summer schedule and a late summer schedule. I wouldn't do it for most math or science courses, but it is a great way to get electives out of the way or other courses that don't require much work after class. Also, I have found that summer classes are less crowded, a more relaxed atmosphere and often have a few students that are not the cream of the crop and actually need the class. So if you are a good student, it can be easier to shine above the others. If you have the motivation to go to college in the summer, you can cut a 4 year degree to around 3 years time.

7. Get a low-profile job (mailroom, clerk, etc) in a larger company with good benefits.

Many companies provide educational benefits to their employees. Many have a cap on the total $$ amount for education for the year, others pay some percentage of the amount (maybe 90% for an A, 75% for a B, 50% for a C, etc.). Talk to the manager or human resource department. The only "problem" with this is that once you start taking a few classes at their expense, you will likely be given a raise, promoted and/or given more responsibility that can put a crimp on your free time. Been there, done that.

8. Take courses that translate to good jobs

Unless you are independently wealthy (you probably wouldn't be reading this if you are), you probably need a job when you have completed your degree. It's no secret that majors in History, English, Social Work and many other Liberal Arts disciplines pay very little unless you add several more years of education and get a Masters or Doctorate. Even Science Majors in Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc. can be of limited use at the Bachelor level. However, Math and Science in combination with Engineering, Computer Science, Finance, Accounting, etc. can open doors much quicker and are typically in demand. It's no secret that the USA cannot produce enough people in these and related disciplines but needs to rely on countries such as India for students to fill the available jobs.

I hope this diatribe was not too long-winded but I am aware that growing up as a JW can introduce numerous impediments in regard to education. This applies to young ones and even adults who wish to advance their careers.

Good luck fortune, or best wishes, or whatever we are allowed to say.

Rub a Dub

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

But a Watchtower and Awake subscription will provide a University standard education and it's free !!!

I am living proof of that.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I'd rather spend my time on theocratic pursuits. I'm really excited about the 30 hour auxilliary pioneer activity for April.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Satan owns the colleges

• Giordano
    Giordano

Excellant points Rubadub. There are a lot of approaches to education and a potential earnings. An AA two year degree especially in the medical area can turn out to be a great career starter. Especially with companies that prefer you to have some hands on experience. One can always go back to school later especially if a company wants you to step up and they are willing to offset the cost for you.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I agree with all of the above, to which I would add a few:

Bust your ass in school. Study hard, pay attention in class. For an added boost go talk to the profs during their office hours, but limit discussion to honest questions about the subject matter and career choices. It has been my experience that profs love students who come to talk about something more substantial than whining about grades. It is a great way to pick up potential job info.

Get an internship or entry level summer job in something related to your chosen field. You will learn ten times as much on the job as you did in college.

Bust your ass on the first job. Find some one who understands the field and learn from them (see comment above). By the time you get to your second or third job interview no one will care about where you went to school or what grades you got. Your performance on the job will be the only thing that counts.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

All the geologists, biologists and physicists have got together and sought to prove gods anointed wrong... its so obvious. Stay away !

whistling whilst walking down the street... [whistle whistle whistle] Oooh look a poster selling colour felt pens with a cute picture of a dinosaur [DO NOT COMPUTE. DO NOT COMPUTE. THEY WERE HERE TO FLATTEN THE EARTH. NEVER SEEN THAT SCRIPTURE THOUGH.. FEAR. APOSTACY? FEAR. DO NOT COMPUTE. DO NOT COMPUTE.REWIND. ERASE.]

whistle..whistle whistle..... "Oh I must remember to pick up a new highlighter for my WT preperation."

• finally awake
    finally awake

It also is a good idea to comparison shop among the four year colleges. Find out exactly how much tuition and fees are, and then relate that to how well respected the particular degree you are pursuing will be from each school. There may be a less expensive school that is more respected in a particular field than more expensive places with overall "better" reputations.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Good points Rub. It's a subject that's been very important to me with my exit from WTland.

One of the things I see is young students that really don't know what they want to do/be. University gets really expensive if they spend years taking classes and switching majors repeatedly. Comm Coll is a much better/cheaper place to start their classes.

University has been great for me since it has free counselling resources. So, I've gotten to see a psychologist regularly to talk about my JW issues. Health insurance is also really cheap through the school. I've gotten more than my money's worth already.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Great thread topic.

I'm about to start a diploma course on Monday so this is a subject I'm very interested in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit