Oh those naughty Pharisees - thankfully we're nothing like those buggers...

by poopsiecakes 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I thought the same thing, Nancy. Look at us all thinking alike and stuff!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It seems to be a sort of Freudian thing to do this, I noticed at the K.Hall that the ones with particular personal problems would answer giving advice on those very problems, or worse, give a talk on the subject.

I reckon you are right though Poopsie, they are trying to give the impression that they are nothing like the Pharisees of the Gospels, and yet they are identical ! More mind control.

• TD
    TD

Even if you set the hypocrisy aside, it's still a typical display of fundy ignorance of Judaism.

Observance of the Sabbath was not a vague, conscience-driven moral principle comparable to the standards of Christianity because the Law was not just a code of moral conduct. It was a civil and criminal code as well with punishments that went all the way up to the death penalty.

When a real, physical penalty is involved, people have both the right and need to have the law spelled out in exhaustive detail. And spelling out exactly what constituted work on the Sabbath predates the Pharisees by many centuries.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

poopsiecakes, I'd be interested in seeing that list. Can you find it?

00DAD

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hey 00Dad - feel free to add anything I've missed

While a JW may not be reproved or disfellowshipped for the following list of written or implied rules, should they do any of the following they will be viewed as 'weak' or 'bad association' in the congregation.

Extracurricular school activities
    Joining any organization other than theirs
    Bringing a recording device or taking notes during a judicial committee
    Education beyond high school unless it’s for the WT’s purposes
    Getting a piercing anywhere other than the earlobes
    Tattoos
    Accepting a blood transfusion
    Giving blood
    Eating foods with ‘by-products’ in the ingredients, esp. hot dogs
    Celebrating any holiday or birthday, including Thanksgiving and Mother’s/Father’s Day
    Yoga
    Masturbation
    Certain sexual acts even with your spouse
    Mentioning a disfellowshipped person in a prayer – even in private
    Having your palm read
    Serving in military service of any kind
    Having a job at the UN
    Reciting the pledge of allegiance, or local equivalent
    Children must abstain from anything involving any holiday at school or elsewhere
    Voting
    Running for class President
    Carrying a firearm, even as a policeman or security guard (some areas are OK with hunting, however)
    Dating or marrying a non-Witness
    Dating before the age of 18
    Breaking off an engagement
    Divorcing your spouse if they’ve committed adultery but you’ve had sex with them after they’ve confessed
    Attending another church
    Hang gliding
    Sky diving
    Bungee jumping
    Paint ball
    Smoking or chewing tobacco
    Owning a cross, whether as decoration or as a piece of jewellery
    Maintaining friendships with non-JWs
    Studying the Bible or Watchtower literature in small groups in someone’s home If you're getting married in a Kingdom Hall, only WT music is permitted (no classical pieces allowed to walk down the aisle)
    Wearing trousers to bethel, a meeting or an assembly if you’re a woman
    Wearing short skirts at any time (anything above the kneecap)
    Wearing ankle length skirts to JW functions
    Wearing a skirt made of denim to JW functions (including a bethel visit)
    Growing a beard if you’re a man
    Sideburns for men must be kept short
    Wearing anything other than a white shirt if you’re a man giving a talk
    Men giving talks must wear suits – no sport jackets
    Women giving talks can only be in twos and speak to one another, never from a lectern
    The length of men’s hair must not grow past the top of their shirt collar
    Reading anything deemed to be ‘apostate’ Owning a Ouija board
    Hypnosis - whether as a therapy tool or for entertainment
    Dying your hair if you’re a man
    Wearing makeup of any kind if you’re a man, unless you’re ‘acting’ in a drama at a convention
    Attending a congregation other than the one assigned to you based on where you live without approval
    Stringing lights on your residence for decoration
    Costume parties – even if only JW’s are present
    Hiring a magician to perform at a wedding
    Saying hello to a disfellowshipped person
    Questioning doctrine
    Not turning in a spouse, family member or friend to the elders if any of the above is violated

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

It seems to be a sort of Freudian thing to do this, I noticed at the K.Hall that the ones with particular personal problems would answer giving advice on those very problems, or worse, give a talk on the subject.

Phizzy, this is so true!!!

TD, interesting points about the Jewish system - I hadn't thought of the punishment aspect of the Law requiring a more detailed interpretation.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

As a side note to my list above - these are 'rules' that are followed with no scriptural back up. I deliberately left off stealing, adultery, murder etc.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I had no idea that dubs were not supposed to eat hot dogs or wear ankle length skirts. I guess that explains it all - Jay Hoover has rejected me for my love of Oscar Mayer all natural weiners and my long skirts.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Great post and list poopsiecakes!

I look forward to asking a sincere, honest hearted, but deceived JW to explain "legalism" and its exact opposite to me, from the heart:

"I have heard that the Watchtower has an excellent article on legalism..."

(g79 6/8 pp. 27-28)

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Isn't bugger the male recipient of the homosexual activity? LOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit