Latest Watchtower page 30... They have some nerve to put this!

by TimothyT 100 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

One thing that I have ALWAYS noticed even when I was a JW is that the JW org has LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of rules for allsorts of stupid petty rules which make NO difference. When you read the bible you see how they are clearly in the wrong here and are acting like the pharisees themselves, who imposed so much pressure on others to conform to the law. Am i missing something here!?!? Then we read articles like this from the latest Watchtower:

3 The Pharisees’ rules and traditions made the application of the Law burdensome for the common people.

The Mosaic Law furnished the overall structure for Israel’s worship of Jehovah. However, minute details were not provided. For instance, the Law forbade work on the Sabbath, but it did not explicitly define what constituted work and what did not. (Ex. 20:10) The Pharisees sought to fill in such supposed gaps by means of their laws, definitions, and traditions. While Jesus ignored the arbitrary rules of the Pharisees, he did observe the Mosaic Law. (Matt. 5:17, 18; 23:23) He saw beyond the letter of the Law. Jesus discerned the spirit behind the Law and the need for mercy and compassion. He was reasonable, even when his followers failed him. For example, although he urged three of his apostles to stay awake and keep on the watch on the night of his arrest, they fell asleep repeatedly. Nevertheless, he sympathetically remarked: “The spirit, of course, is eager, but the flesh is weak.”—Mark 14:34-42.

Questions for meditation: Do I seek to lay down arbitrary, inflexible rules or to turn my personal opinions into law? Am I reasonable in what I expect of others?

Reflect on the contrast between Jesus’ teaching and that of the Pharisees. Do you see ways in which you could improve? If so, why not resolve to do so?

Errrr yeah... ok... I decided this wasnt reflective enough, so i decided to change it to a more modern day interpretation. See what you think!

3 The governing body’s rules and traditions make the application of the Jesus’ Laws burdensome for Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The Law of Christianity furnished the overall structure for all worship of Jehovah. However, minute details were not provided. The governing body seek to fill in such supposed gaps by means of their laws, definitions, and traditions. While Jesus ignores the arbitrary rules of the governing body, he does observe the Law of Christianity. (Matt. 22:36-40) He saw beyond the letter of the Law. Jesus discerned the spirit behind the Law and the need for mercy and compassion. He was reasonable, even when his followers failed him. For example, although he urged three of his apostles to stay awake and keep on the watch on the night of his arrest, they fell asleep repeatedly. Nevertheless, he sympathetically remarked: “The spirit, of course, is eager, but the flesh is weak.”—Mark 14:34-42.

Questions for meditation: Does the governing body seek to lay down arbitrary, inflexible rules or to turn their personal opinions into law? Are they reasonable in what they expect of others?

Reflect on the contrast between Jesus’ teaching and that of the governing body. Do you see ways in which they could improve? If so, why do they not resolve to do so?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

too true

They don't need a resolve to change their ways. They're approved by God

• screwface
    screwface

EXCELLENT!

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Well put, as always Tim.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It's a strange contradiction for sure. Maybe this came from the liberal wing of the writing department.

• JWB
    JWB

Yes, those Pharisees had an awful lot to say about what others should be doing!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

There are none so blind as those that will not see! - John Heywood, 1546

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Notice what one US Supreme Court Justice said regarding Jehovah's Witnesses and their rules:

"The Witnesses … have developed an elaborate set of rules governing membership." - US Supreme Court, Paul v WTBTS of NY, Inc.

Imagine that, a US Supreme Court Justice thinks the WT rules are "elaborate"!

• Ding
    Ding

Do I seek to lay down arbitrary, inflexible rules or to turn my personal opinions into law? Am I reasonable in what I expect of others?

The key to the quote is "I" and "my personal opinions."

For us to do such things is evidence of sinful pride.

For the GB to do it is fine because Jehovah has set them over all his house.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Matthew 7:1-5:

1 “Stop judging that YOU may not be judged; 2 for with what judgment YOU are judging, YOU will be judged; and with the measure that YOU are measuring out, they will measure out to YOU . 3 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Allow me to extract the straw from your eye’; when, look! a rafter is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First extract the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to extract the straw from your brother’s eye.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit