Only in America?

by cedars 16 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

About 10 years ago I visited the three New York bethels - Patterson, Brooklyn and Wallkill. At the time, I was still very much mentally infatuated with the organization, so the trip was filled with wonder and nostalgia. I can remember being told by a tour guide at Wallkill that they were now so familiar with things constantly changing and being improved that the information they give on tours can quickly become out-of-date. They could take a tour into a certain part of the factory, and there would be a wall there where there wasn't one yesterday.

This sort of thing is very impressive to us Brits, because we are generally used to taking things more slowly. Only in Britain, for example, could the game of cricket have been invented - a ludicrously complex game that takes the best part of a week to produce a final result. Only in Britain could a restaurant chain such as "Little Chef" enjoy any sort of success, still pulling in the customers despite taking up to an hour to deliver whatever truly awful food you have ordered. Only in Britain could trains being repeatedly late despite the fares being so expensive cause nothing more than a "tut", a roll of the eyes, and a glance at the watch. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

It struck me when I visited the bethels in the States that only in America could the organization have sprung up so relatively quickly on the scale it has done. Before my american friends start to get all flustered and offended, allow me to explain why.

The British perception of Americans (this is only a stereoptype) is that they are loud, brash and boisterous, and get all worked up over things that would cause little more than a raised eyebrow among Brits. An example would be all the movies depicting NASA space missions, where something dramatic happens of a positive nature, and suddenly the room erupts into shouting, clapping, punching the air, and grown men embracing eachother. This is not generally how things are done with Brits, although attitudes are slowly changing as new generations of Brits are being increasingly exposed to American culture through movies etc. But going back in history, Brits generally prided themselves on their "stiff upper lip" and more reserved approach. To show excitement about anything was not considered desirable.

This unbridled enthusiasm, despite being viewed by most Brits as "brash and boisterous behaviour", has served your country proud in almost every endeavor you have embarked upon. Only in America could a space program have been developed that would eventually land a man on the moon, and which to this day continues to increase our knowledge and understanding of the universe through such achievements as the launching of the hubble space telescope and the various space shuttle missions. Only in america could an essentially British invention, the Internet, have found its full potential in the brilliant minds and cunning entrepeneurs that roam silicon valley.

It is also this "can do" attitude and enthusiastic approach that gave the world the Watch Tower, Bible and Tract Society - which for all its evils, has required immense dedication, fortitude, resilience in the face of adversity, passionate support and unwavering loyalty by generation after generation of americans. I can't help but wonder whether its development could ever have been realized in any other western society other than America - because there just isn't the same enthusiasm and unbridled optimism when it comes to matters of faith in any other nation in the western world, including Britain.

I realise I may be bang out of order in saying all of this, which is why I pose it as a question rather than insisting on it. Hopefully none of you Americans out there will take offense at any of what I've said, because I've mentioned how your national characteristics have contributed to some of the greatest feats of humankind.

So, do you think it could have happened anywhere else?

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think you are right Cedars, if you look at the religious milieu at the end of the 19th Century in Britain, it was quite similar to that of America, many were looking for the Last Days and the 2nd Presence etc, books similar to Russell's full of strange interpretations of scripture and predictions for the near future were published by clergymen and others.

And yet no large religious movements independant of help from America, grew out of this potential hotbed. No doubt the American character gave impetus to all the movements that got going at that time, if only they they had been more like us Brits ! Nothing would have got done !

Sadly we cannot say that the WT is all the fault of our friends across the pond, it was given impetus by the London Bethel and its sending out of travelling ministers etc. Just having the Craven Terrace London address made it sound more legit.

We Brits are guilty of helping it along, at the very least, on behalf of my ancestors, I apologise for that !

• cedars
    cedars

Phizzy, I would second that.

Nobody is "to blame" as such, but if they were, we Brits would need to take our fair share of the responsibility too!

Cedars

• oompa
    oompa

I like your post and your take on america...and my answer is yes...in some countries it may have been slower, but in some it could have been even faster....some crazy dictator of a country could have made it the official religion and put all his resources behnd it...just sayin....anything is possible...........oompa

• Gladring
    Gladring

My take on this (maybe I'm ignoring the organisational elements you are talking about) is that it is the freedom of religion laws which allow groups like this to flourish in the US. It does seem that America is a breeding ground for cults and fringe religions.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I think you are right on. There was a certain ortgeist in late 19th century America --- it was the 'perfect storm' for this sort of thing to develop. From a sociological standpoint, it is quite fascinating. Unfortunately, hardly an of us are looking at it from that standpoint!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

My take on this (maybe I'm ignoring the organisational elements you are talking about) is that it is the freedom of religion laws which allow groups like this to flourish in the US. It does seem that America is a breeding ground for cults and fringe religions.

Many US citizens today are the children/grandchildren/GGchildren of men and woman who were very valiant determined people from all over (mostly Europe). They were the defiant and strong-willed that sold off almost every asset and (literally) set sail for their ideals -- freedom, opportunity, escape, whatever. The "ships" on which they crossed the Atlantic are NOT something Carnival Cruises sails today. These folks were gutsy. BIG KAHOONAS.

The gene pool maybe diluted some today, but those wild ass genes are still floating around in some folks here. Take a trip to Texas or Montana. Consider the popular bumper sticker: "They can have my gun when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands." You don't f&%k with people like that. It's that kind of attitude that keeps the politicians who are in power at bay. There are still a good number of people here that wouldn't just roll over to some kind of oppression. Piss enough people off and you better learn to keep your head down.

Second, yes the principle of Freedom of Religion is given a wide berth here. Too wide many times. I see in the UK and Australia that religions and charities are required to post financial reports. Religion is exempt here. There was an investigation into a few of the Mega-Rich TV ministries here a few years ago. "Ministers" who are blatant about flaunting their wealth that they spend for their personal use. It went no where. THus it allows money to be accumulated tax free and used anyway for any purpose as long as it's in the name of Religion. Even though I think overall it is losing its influence and status, Religion is a sacred cow here. [Note, the European Courts seem to be moving in that direction as well. The WTS seems to prevail in most cases it takes there.]

Of couse, the JW experience couldn't have happened in the USA or anywhere else if not backed by God's Spirit. [Sorry, couldn't resist.]

Doc

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Blame the American's for starting the cult

Not taking offense at all!!! I do agree you have a point.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Seems natural that one of the world's largest printing corporations would spring from the world's business capital.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Spot on, mate.

(I was going to add an exclamation point but thought better of it.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit