Where did this "God lives in the Pleiades" notion come from?

by james_woods 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Think About It
    Think About It

I thought a map of the universe and a dart were involved in this theory.

Think About It

• Sulla
    Sulla

Yet another example of the JW adoption of the most crude and vulgar "theology" possible. AS it happens, they still hold this teaching, just without naming the star group where the Boss resides.

They are idiots. They have always been idiots. From the first day until this.

• designs
    designs

Oh JW Leaders are dreadful absolutely, so dreadful they were only outdone by the Popes, see: Galileo v Pope Paul V

• Sulla
    Sulla

Oh, God! designs. That again? I hope you aren't like this at parties.

• designs
    designs

Russell vs Pope Paul V who was dumber in astronomy

• Sulla
    Sulla

Yeah. See, that's what I mean.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This makes god a physical creature. The idea that God resides in space is ridiculous. Jewish teaching is that God is not human. Isn't this antrhomorphizing God--not human. Why would any spiritual based creature hang in a physical space. It is crazy to its core. It reminds me of the Greeks and other ancient cultures seeing the gods in their constellations. I don't know whether they believed the constellations were there gods or merely a symbol in the physical universe.

It seems they can only read literal language. This view would shock a first century Jew or Christian. I suppose they will always have trouble finding scientists. My science study was dropped after the first year of college. Certainly, I can read Psychology Today or a popular article in the New York Times. It doesn't mean that I know science. I find it very troubling that trained legal minds or architects can find any harmony with the Witnesses. The leap for a someone well versed in science is much larger.

Every religion has their loony beliefs. One could attribute Tudor medical beliefs to the Anglican Church. Science will never be static. It is the seriousness. Many religions would admit their past beliefs and align with modern science. The Witnesses have so much literature in the world (relative to their size. Many people have never read a WT publication). If they acknowledged their scandals as human fallibility, their craziness would not stand out. As the sole organ of God's will, delivering due meat, their mistakes stand out. Would we really care about such an old belief it they embraced their mistakes?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Woo Yeah! Let's fly to the stars!

Jehovah's Witness Watchtower Pleiades

Jehovah's Witness Watchtower Pleiades

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    After noting the beauty of this star group and quoting astronomers indicating Pleiades could be the hub around which other stars rotate

Screw the Pleiades, now with modern astronomical science, we do know of a central hub in our galaxy where stars rotate around.

God lives inside a supermasssive black hole!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXaDO-U_2yA&feature=related

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Interesting how C.T. Russell, once viewed as second only to Jesus Christ himself, the original Faithful and Wise Servant, without naming him, is relegated by more enlightened Watchtower leaders as...

"offer private interpretations of Job 38:31, 32 that amaze their hearers"

"views are not always sound from the standpoint of astronomy, and when viewed Scripturally they are completely without foundation"

"it is useless to indulge in unprofitable speculations"

Should make a present day JW wonder how in the world they ever followed a religion started by such a nut. Watchtower talks out of both sides of it's mouth about this guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit