Your recommendation for an economical, wireless home printer?

by juni 24 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, and it would be soooo advantageous to print my documents on a stranger's printer. Just walk up to the door afterwards and ask for the hard copy.

oh my,,

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I just bought a refurbished Epson 835 All-in-One from Fry's. This is the previous model (I think the 837 replaced it). A little over $100, plus $30 for two year extended warranty. Fry's typically just exchanges one for one or gives you credit toward an upgrade.

My LexMark 2350 has served me well, and still works for straight print and copy. However, it tends to suck up 8-10 sheets of paper at a time and has stopped scanning for no discernable reason. I'll keep it as a backup for draft printing (I get the cartridges refilled at Costco for about $8). After a couple of refills, the cartridges die, but new ones are about $25 and go forever if you only do draft quality. I don't print photos on my printers, but upload them to Costco and have 4x6 prints made for 13 cents each - far cheaper than printing them on a home printer - and better quality too.

I've owned Brother and Canon inkjet printers too, and they all last about 2 years with heavy use and about 5 with low or average usage. My Lexmark lasted nearly 6 and is still partly usable.

Costco has some good printers priced very well. Avoid Best Buy; they will try to upsell you and their service has degenerated over the past couple of years.

JV

• juni
    juni

Thanks for the helpful suggestions! All good information.

I set up a Cisco Linksys E4200 router which has WPA/WPA2 Personal and Enterprise encryption for security. Unless a terrorist operative wants to hack in, in which case they will be sorely disappointed with my data, I feel I'm safe. And no way am I going to be fooled by someone at my door asking for a cup of sugar while searching out my printer for nefarious deeds.

Juni

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Wireless? Hmm, with the neighbors whose roof is full of antennas/el. engineers in the army and confirmed by an ex girlfriend that the dude doesn't pay for internet...

I 'd better keep my tail protected

NOLAW

• reneeisorym

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit