Reform on blood issue?!?!

by Wishididntknow 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Disassociation voluntarily as a result of consenting to a blood transfusion is only to be the case for the brother/sister in question, if they lack remorse for their action/inaction."

Exactly. So, if a person tells the truth -- that he or she is happy to be alive, thanks to accepting modern, lifesaving blood treatment, he will be excommunicated.

So long as people ride around with suicide cards in their wallets, they can find themselves bleeding to death inside the emergency room.

Houston, there IS a problem.

• Fencing
    Fencing

The change from Disfellowshipping to Disassociation was nothing more than a CYA for the Society. As Elderelite states above, they started getting seriously looked at in Bulgaria for the disfellowshipping of people who elected to take transfusions. So, they changed it to disassociation so that they can look at the courts with a straight face and claim that they don't "punish" people who take a blood transfusion, the person themselves chooses to voluntarily leave by their decision.

Of course, the end result is exactly the same. And it's a total lie to claim that the Society doesn't take punitive action against members who elect for a blood transfusion. But their semantic game got them off the hook with the European Human Rights court, as I recall. And that's all it was ever about.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Wasn't Oompa's acceptance of blood transfusion taken as his wish to DA himself?

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Randy makes a good case with clarification over perception and legality:

(It's called Watchtower legalese mealy mouthing)

"In the case of blood transfusions, they are making a big deal out of it in assembly parts while at the same time telling others in the Service Dept. what to say (contradictory) to the hurt or dying Witness.

Corporations don't care if their employees die so much as they care about their perceived omniscience. Corporations are entities with their own ego and will, and they always sacrifice others to make good. "

Randy's blog here http://www.freeminds.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3168:jehovahs-witnesses-take-blood&catid=8:randys-blog&Itemid=571
    Sooooo, my take is this,the Watchtower puts up a frontal facade that we abstain from blood it's a capital offense while their internal ecclesiastical courts ( blood liaison committee and local congregation judicial committees) have in fact not actually disfellowshipped a baptized member for taking 'whole blood'.

Blood dogma is a paper tiger full of legalistic loop-holes? Loop holes that cause 'transfusion confusion' especially in emergency room dramas that get men,women,children KILLED.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I agree the first sentence can be misleading:

Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform on Blood are announcing the beginning of the end of the Jehovah's Witness Blood Doctrine.

That can obviously be interpreted wrongly. I will make sure that phrase is not used again. The WT will never announce such a thing, IMHO.

I didn't write it, but I will take the blame and make sure that line is changed. The rest of it is true. Zen called the Service Dept. and the rest is exactly what they told him.

My article on it is at:

http://www.freeminds.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3168:jehovahs-witnesses-take-blood&catid=8:randys-blog&Itemid=571

Randy

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

No Room For George said,

"I can't help but think that the WT would leave itself open to lawsuits."

Yes they would, but consider this...

Who would sue if the ban on blood was lifted? Wouldn't it be relatives of someone who died because they refused blood? If the ban on blood was lifted quickly survivors of the deceased would say, 'You mean our mother/father/son/daughger didn't have to die after all? He/she followed your policy and lost his life thinking it was the truth, and now you have taken it back? We are taking action against you for loss of life!' No doubt when attorneys figured out how to win such cases the law suits would fly against Watchtower.

How to avoid such suits? Wait until all those who could possibly bring suit have passed on. But that will take decades, so what does Watchtower do in the meantime? Keep the blood policy on the books, but do not DF or DA for it.

As Refriedtruth said, the Sociey can mealy mouth it's way through this, providing plenty of loopholes, giving counsel privately that isn't in print, so that no one has to die because of not receiving blood in the coming years. Then, decades down the road when the coast is clear - meaning there is no longer a threat of suits from survivors - quietly drop the whole matter. Maybe the Society will even claim it had been a conscience matter all along and that 'some back in those days misunderstood' (that's certainly a method that Watchtower has used before).

This would be a long process, but it seems the Society's blood policy is in a state of transition now, and has been since major changes took place in 2000.

These are only my thoughts, but a scenario like this would provide a way out from under the organization's horrible blood policy eventually, and avoid most of the law suits.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Scenic Viewer,

That is a very excellent synopsis of what is happening (at least part of their plans).

KUDOS!

Can I use it? :-))

Randy

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ Dogpatch,

Absolutely you can use it. I hope it does some good.

Best Wises with the whole blood issue, and AJWRB.org.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Thanks.

This is a very difficult and expensive project and I couldn't do it without Zen. But we will make a few faux pas along the way. But I will be sure to correct them if we do. So don't be hesitant to address it to me. Just be civil, and I'm speaking to myself, too.

And kudos to the ones who came before us on AJWRB.ORG. Their articles have been excellent, as has been Marvin's blog.

I apologize for any bad feelings over the changeover of the site. To me it's just business as usual, people dealing with people who don't quite understand the other person (probably because they've never met them in person), but I think we will take it on to the end of the blood policy, then there is no need for the site, except for archives.

Some people will live who would have died.

Randy Watters

www.freeminds.org

• cofty
    cofty

Some people will live who would have died.

I believe that's not an exaggeration.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit