What was your life as a JW?

by tornapart 24 Replies latest jw friends

• shallbefree
    shallbefree

I became a JW in my late 20s.... I believed that it was the 'truth'. I took me about 5 yrs to realize that it's nothing more than a mind contolling cult. I've been fading for about 2 years now.

What made me realize that it was all wrong? oh it started with no blood issue, the discouraging of the higher education,no celebration and from there ..... everything seemed wrong to me. I felt trapped and there was a point when I could take no more, I decided to move away from my hometown. The best part is that I was the only JW in my family so no love lost there.

• Flicka
    Flicka

Parents were baptized when I was a baby.

I got baptized at the age of 15, pioneered for +5years.

Since Twisty and I got married he had questions but I never paid much attention to it.

Last year our meeting attendance became very irregular. We would even sometimes get ready for the meeting but then not go because I would have an emotional break-down - I couldn't face the people.

Last meeting we attended was the District Convention in October 2011.

After that Twisty spoke to me about his questions again and that was it, we never went back again.

Flicka

• misguided
    misguided

Were you a born-in or became one as an adult? Born in, 3rd generation

How long were you in for? 37 years

What made you realise it was all wrong? Had suspicions as a kid. The blood issue played a roll in my realization, as did the hypocrisy, but mostly it was pedophilia. I was a victim of a cover-up, silenced, and made to feel crazy, for one. Secondly, my elder-ex-father-in-law had a baby with my ex-sister-in-law 15 years before we got married, and found out just before the wedding what we thought was my ex-husband's niece was also his 1/2 sister. This happened in Simcoe, Ontario, and they moved to BC where it was covered up and went on to become an elder.

Have you stayed in because of family? I did for a while, but couldn't live 2 lies.

Are you fading or have you completely gone? 100 percent gone. Miss my parents, but no amount of shunning is going to make me change my mind!

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Flicka I'm sorry you are so torn up about your spirituality. I understand the battle for sure. {huggs}

My grandparents were witnessed to back in their 20's so my parents were raised and us siblings were raised as well. I got baptised at 19 after high school because I didn't want to do it when all my witness friends did, I wanted to make sure I was doing it for me and not social reasons. I had stayed quiet and to myself through school so I didn't make really close 'worldly' friends and then decided I passed the peer presure test and I would be a pioneer with spiritual goals ahead.

It changed as my friends beckered and judged each other... they were all five years yonger then me hence why I felt maybe muturity level was in play. But eventually I asked myself... is this all life is about, I wanted more out of life. And things changed.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

N.drew thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit