3/15 WT- " Forget the Good Times you had Prior to being JW - Can't .........

by flipper 66 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Must be a commen lament from inactive ones. Life was easier when everything didn't have a label

• flipper
    flipper

WHA HAPPENED- Indeed you are correct. Life was surely easier when everything didn't have a label. Good point

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

I am just overly shocked an have a lil anxiety as to how long it will be before Jehovah's Witnesses see that they are being CONTROLED by men!!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

not according to them. They have holy spirit guiding the men who are controlling them

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

It just doesn't seem fair... :(

Why can't there be a legel rule that any organization needs to inform their members the true and only the true when committing to their organization... like written documents and stuff... and be in trouble when with holding valuble information for their own good (mentally and physically).

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it's a private club.

• designs
    designs

They know we gave up our youth, higher education, humanitarian and social concerns for them. They know we are pissed and they know we are Activists.

We are silent no more.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking...

Another great thread by Flipper!!

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Here's another thought on the relationship between this article and Steven Hassan. I do think the writers know about and are targetting a basic idea Hassan presents in his advice on helping cult members to wake up: namely, accessing the pre-cult personality. The article sows uncertainty and doubt in the mind of the cult member for the occasion(s) when he/she might tap into the pre-cult personality. The article looks to me like a preemptive measure - the WT's own attempt to combat the combatting of cult mind control.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

OK, so I will "forget" the good times I had despite being a witless. Knowing that there is a bias toward remembering the good things in the past, I will just remember all the times I didn't feel like being out in field circus but had to go anyways because I was expected to be out there. Never mind the illusion of joy from seemingly learning new things and doing new things. That was rubbish.

Rather, I will stay focused on the times when they tried to keep me in field circus long after quitting time. Like intentionally scheduling calls that I had to go on for 2:55 PM when they knew I had to work that night and wanted to go in at 3 PM, and then intentionally pushing that call for more than half an hour. Or, the "just one more won't hurt" repeated 15 or more times. I will also stay focused on the times when they tried to choreograph every movement to what they expected--not to go ahead of the group or drop behind, each foot placement exactly as they wanted, wearing certain colors of shirts and suits, and so on. No matter it is almost 40 o C and quite muggy.

And, the "just meet men" rules at a$$emblies. That eliminated any potential for good experiences at those wastefests. The roast beef sandwiches and frozen pudding, I will try to minimize because I might be biased into putting too many "joy points" on these things. Better I make them myself (or something better). Also, the travel--by comparing those wasted trips to similar trips made before becoming a witless on an objective basis, I will realize that any "joy" from making the trips as a witless were minimal. Since I am comparing a past event with another past event, the "pro-joy" bias will be the same for both, canceling each other out. Left will be the drudgery of going to something, sitting there all day for no good reason, only to be allowed nothing but other men.

Versus now. Take Christmas--back then (in the "pro-joy" bias), I had to dread Christmas. When the lights went up, I had to avoid looking at them lest I enjoy them. Christmas music was something to dread. I would worry about the Christmas music starting--at first, I was hoping Armageddon would cut them off. Later, I realized that it was probably not coming any time soon. These days, I actually like most of the Christmas songs (even if I don't agree with the religion, I still believe Jesus died trying to free us from Jehovah). And I enjoy looking at, and rigging up, Christmas displays I used to dread even thinking about. That, in that area, it is better in the "negative bias" present than it was in the "positive bias" past, should debunk the whole thesis that forgetting the past is the whole answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit