I can't believe it, but a kid got marked for having worldy friends.

by Knowsnothing 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

WTF what a bunch of prized pricks they need a good ball kicking

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

At my mother's hall they gave the same kind of talk about a married couple having "worldly" friends at work.

They just love "marking" people and excluding people,don't they.

Jehovah's Witnesses are some of the most rude and judgemental people I know. I can say that because,I've been one all my life and finally seeing how it truly is. What makes me feel worse about it is,I used to be like that.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I hope that kid does what Ja Rule did--getting disfellowshipped and starting a major rap contract. This is lousy to expect children to not have any worldly friends and be miserable all day in school (I suspect that was partly to threaten other children that worldly associates were very serious infringements). If anything, the scumbags that have children baptized as young as 6 need to get disfellowshipped for that.

Seems that the religion is getting worse than the extremist Islam religions. The difference: Muslims will blow things up when they are threatened. Witlesses simply destroy people's lives--which can be worse than blowing things up because that in fact does blow up their chances of happiness and success in the real world. As they must live their lives in this miserable state, while at least the Muslims that blow up threatening Christian churches are already dead.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Make up a little flyer, and get it into the hands of this kid somehow.

Are you one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Have you been MARKED?

Are the elders exerting more and more control over the details of your life and using humiliation as coercion?

We can help!

jehovahs-witness.net

We won't mark you. We'll just let you talk about it.---and we won't choose your friends for you!

• flipper
    flipper

KNOWSNOTHING- It's disgusting that these talks occur and that ANY " marking " is done. I bet the young man or woman who was " marked " was not an elders son or daughter though. There is a definite double standard in regards to " marking " someone for bad association.

I was an elders son in the 1970's and I played tennis and hung out with non-Witness high school buddies of mine - not ONCE did my elder dad ever tell me to give up my friends . How come ? He didn't want to lose his coveted elders position in the congregation he had had since the early 1950's. So he chose to bury it under the table my associating with " worldly " friends.

There are so many hypocritical rules in this organization that the WT leaders and elders enforce on rank & file Witnesses - yet they don't apply the rules to themselves. Control is hammered more heavily onto rank & file members than elders or their families. Many of the actions of elders and their families get buried in the closet. But rank & file JW members alleged " sins " become public knowledge much more often. So tell me KNOWSNOTHING- was this teenager an elders child ? Just curious

• Gayle
    Gayle

This is just a stepping stone away, to "mark" JW kids who have "friended" non-JWs there on Facebook.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I tend to monitor my real conversations to be civil. Real life is not a debating society. The other night a job coach told me how superb home schooling was and how top schools want them. I fail to see how a parent can have teaching expertise in so many subjects. My public school was infamous but a core of us made it to top colleges. I exploded. It is the antithesis of any Ivy League and comp education to me. Information is only a small fraction of school. If my JW parents homeschooled me, where would I be? Not just in terms of evolution and evil UN, now good UN. My public school teachers told me to go to college. No debate. Regardless of my parents wishes. My worldly friends sustained me. Where else would I have made Jewish and Chinese friends?

Narrow knowledge is not what any university should want. School provided me a haven from violent abuse and degredation. My worldly friends helped me hang on when things were bleakest. I suffered severe endometriosis. My mom's take is I was suffering Eve;s punishment. A school friend commuted with me by bus, with four separate transfers, to reach a medical office. No JW would have done that. When I just wanted to give up, their presence at school motivated me to get to school, even at 6:30 to take clarinet lessons so I could graduate.

I would not know the New York Times or Daily News. The Beatles, Stones, Dylan would have been no fun. I'm crying reading this post. Cult- they fit the bill.

Besides, public school teaches you to how to weather the factory of most real life. You have to put up with bullies and class clowns. Peer roles are learned. You learn so much in gym, cafeteria, and recess.

Homeschooling says American culture is decadent. So live on an enclave. I feel very strongly. This cannot be what any admissions officer wants. The worse social terrors at college were people who attended schools like the Little Red School House, that were overly permissive, and the ultra conservatives one. Columbia was in turmoil after 1968 so they recruited some deferential Catholic and Yeshiva girls. The faculty ordered it stopped b/c the school would be a lower tier in a few years. All knowledge. NO deeper thought.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    What congregation was it? -Celestial

Sorry, I won't say. Since I'm in a bit of a bind. You understand.

That is so sad! How old is the child? -Ruderedhead

In his early teens, I'd say.

Make up a little flyer, and get it into the hands of this kid somehow. -NewChapter

That'd be suicide. Given my DA'ed status, I'm being watched like a hawk. I think he will figure it out on his own.

It's disgusting that these talks occur and that ANY " marking " is done. I bet the young man or woman who was " marked " was not an elders son or daughter though. There is a definite double standard in regards to " marking " someone for bad association. -flipper

You nailed it. I've seen the double standard so many times, its ridiculous. I think what irked the elders was that they gave him offical elder advice on leaving his worldy friends. So, they can't have anyone challenge their authority. The elder even went on to say, "Well, someone might see it as a personal matter. After all, one might reason, 'It's my life and I get to choose my friends', but this is not so!"

This PO seems nice at first, but he's as uber elder as it gets.

So tell me KNOWSNOTHING- was this teenager an elders child ? Just curious. -flipper

Not a chance. Just as the typical pattern you said plays out.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Sounds like a destructive cult.

• dogon
    dogon

Marking was a think an individual would do when there was not enough wrong doing to warrant some JC action, Public reproof was done when something was done that the public saw or was in the open but no dissfellowshipping was given.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit