US Marines posed with Nazi "SS" flag in Afghanistan

by dontplaceliterature 38 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
  • james_woods
    james_woods
    Personally, I give em a pass. I'd just tell em that flag is offensive to some people and we need to find another symbol. No big deal.

Probably, military snipers don't much care if their symbol is offensive to some people.

Remember, these type of guys think nothing of punching out Jesse Ventura if he bad-mouths the special forces in a bar.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Lightning kills from afar, two lightning bolts look like the S's in "scout sniper."

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

George Orwell: We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Yeah, I know they don't care. My point is that they should.

The image Outlaw posted in black and yellow is the only one I found which uses the lightning bolt "SS", out of dozens of other symbols. So, like I said, it's not commonly assosicated with the USMC. I would be disappointed if that image was a USMC sanctioned image. I doubt that it is. There is no honor in any of these images. They are depressingly vile and obscene. It paints a picture of men who are proud to be aggressive killing machines, not proud to be defending our country.

I'm not under the false impression that we should expect our USMC soldiers to be "soft". But I don't think it's too much to expect them to be civilized. Either way, war is a nasty business, and I suppose we are always going to see this kind of stuff when so much emotion and aggression is inherent to the game. That doesn't change the fact that it looks bad, and an effort should be put into minimizing this kind of thing where possible.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey UC..

Ya I agree..

JW..

Remember, these type of guys think nothing of punching out Jesse Ventura if he bad-mouths the special forces in a bar.

Jesse is a Navy Seal..He "is" Special Forces..And..

Jesse said the fight never happened..The other Seal hasn`t provided proof otherwise..

It was in a Bar..There should be Witness`s..

...OUTLAW

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Highly recommended movie, a documentary filmed over the course of a year in the furthest outpost of Afghanistan's Korengal valley:

http://restrepothemovie.com/

• Glander
    Glander

I don't see a problem with the Marines using the lightning bolt double S as part of their Scout Sniper unit symbol .

In Portland, OR after years of complaints, they finally got around to painting over a huge swastika symbol that advertised some product on the side of an old downtown building. It is an ancient Indian symbol and had been used long before the Nazis adopted it.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Don'tPlaceLiterature - I think you are making way too much out of this.

Do you object to the skull images pictured above? The Nazis also used the skull as an image.

So did Pirates in the 18th and 19th centuries.

We use the Pentagram Star as a military symbol - it is ancient. The Soviet Union used the five pointed star. So do some forms of Wiccan Witchcraft - but neither the U.S. nor the U.S.S.R. was promoting witchcraft.

They are just symbols.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Yeah, I feel like, if we run a poll here, you'd find an overwhelming number of people on this board have (or would have had) no freaking idea what those lightening bolts stood for. Especially in a context where the symbol has been overloaded with "scout sniper." Surely we don't think the USMC is some sort of crypto-fascist organization, do we?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit