The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and go....

by HintOfLime 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• bohm
    bohm

There shall be a tugging of braids and a smoothing of skirts!

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    There shall be a tugging of braids and a smoothing of skirts!

Ha ha, nice.

- Lime

• Razziel
    Razziel

If you enjoy fantasy novels, this series is a very good one. Like Lime, I'm actually kind of sad to see it coming to an end. In many long book series, a new threat or element is usually introduced in each book as a plot device to advance the story, and that particular story arc is also resolved in that book. (Like the Sword of Truth series.) Many "series" are almost stand-alone books set within a fantasy realm, that just continue the story of a set of characters.

In WoT, the author developed the framework for the entire series before he wrote the first book (supposedly he also wrote the ending when he wrote the beginning), and it has always been a more seamless series for me. There are subplots along the way, (and a few in the middle of the series that would have been better left off-screen. I didn't care for most of Winter's Heart or Crossroads of Twilight). But nearly every primary arc was developed or foreshadowed in the first few books, and we've been waiting 20 years to see the resolution. We did get a couple resolutions in the last book, Towers of Midnight, including a well placed use of chekhov's gun. But for the most part, the entire series will be resolved in the final book. I just hope there is not too much deus ex machina.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Sanderson is a good author. I love his book Elantris and he has continued the WOT series fairly well.

However, I felt WOT derailed somewhere around Lord of Chaos. Winter’s Heart was almost impossible to read through. There are too many characters, too much politics, both in Camlyn, but especially among the ajahs of the Aes Sedai.

But I didn’t plod thus far to not read the ending.

• Razziel
    Razziel

I was just tooling through Wal-Mart, and they have them on sale early. Just picked up a copy.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I love Sanderson. His new series "way of kings" is wonderful. And like Londo, I loved elantris too. I gave up on WOT at book 8. I'd like to start over again and read the whole series.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    I love Sanderson. His new series "way of kings" is wonderful.

Been reading the Way of Kings myself actually. I enjoy his concepts and some of his characters, but I'm a quarter of the way in and hoping it'll pick up soon.

- Lime

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I was just tooling through Wal-Mart, and they have them on sale early. Just picked up a copy.

Awww....

Sadly, whenever I read the title "A Memory of Light"... I can't help but think it refers a bit to Jordan himself. It is easy to be critical - but to create such a work in one's lifetime is something I would be more than proud of. Flaws and all, to mastermind such a long story arc over so many years and manage so many characters - it is more than just words on a page - it is a wonder, I think.

- Lime

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Oh man, just looked it up. That's a lot of reading to go through. Maybe if I'm looking to get into a new book series I'll check this one out. For now I'm working on watching all of the movies in the top 250 of IMDB so that is keeping me pretty busy.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Whatever you do - don't listen to the official audiobooks.

Dang.. that reader just saps the soul out of it if you ask me. :P

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit