The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and go....

by HintOfLime 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Each night I draw closer to completing Towers of Midnight. I'm on page 918 or so right now, and somehow it makes me sad. I started over from the beginning about 8 months ago (this is my third time through the available canon), and I'm nearly through everything published up to now. Only a few hundred pages remain before I'm waiting (anxiously) for the final book.

Is anyone else awaiting A Memory of Light, and does anyone else share the hesitatant anxiety of really seeing it draw to a close after 20 years?

Also - what do you think of Sanderson? I was extremely skeptical after reading the prelude to his first book - I thought it was quite a disappointment at first - but since then either he's grown a knack for the telling, or I've grown accustomed to his style. He's no Robert Jordan - but then there was only one Robert Jordan, anyway, so as long as he's faithful to the spirit canon, I think he's done well, myself.

- Lime

• Razziel
    Razziel

Just a reminder, the final book is released this Tuesday, January the 8th. I've been reading the series since 1993, and can't wait for the conclusion.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I am very excited myself... literally counting the days.

- Lime

• Razziel
    Razziel

Back in the mid-90's, I secretly hoped Armageddon would wait long enough for this series to be finished. It looks like my prayer was answered!

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Heh... would have been a shame if that Mayan Calander thing had any meat...

I know myself that come the 8th, I'm going to have to disappear from sites like dragonmount... Don't want to read any spoilers accidently. :P

- Lime

• Razziel
    Razziel

The spoilers are already up on dragonmount, it seems a lot of people got advanced copies.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Ah, thanks for the warning...

- Lime

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I am not familar with this series?

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    I am not familar with this series?

It's a fantasy novel series started back in the 90's, often compared with the Lord of the Rings. The Wheel of Time is a lot longer - with hundreds of reoccuring characters, dozens of sub-plots, and spanning 14 books each about 800-1100 pages long. The author - Robert Jordan - passed away in 2007 before writing the final 3 books - but left extensive notes on how the story was to end, including recorded interviews and storytelling sessions to his wife and nephew while on his deathbed. Brandon Sanderson has been completing the story since then based on Jordan's notes.

Personally - The WoT series is what really got me into reading and collecting books, so it is a personal favorite of mine.

- Lime

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

That sounds complicated.... I don't enjoy things with hundreds of recurring charactes coming and going, plots upon plots upon subplots, taking 50 years to do with so much backstory it's hard keep track of.

Oh, be back later, Doctor Who is on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit