JW show off dinners

by highdose 10 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

did anyone else have the experiance while in the borg of the uber elderette throwing a dinner party?

I had one in my congo that humiliated every other woman by her aura of "i'm sooo perfect and your not!" Her dinner parties were legendry and rivaled only by buckingham place. the woman had crystal chandilers and even made her own after dinner chocolate mints! No gaudy after eights for her(!)

Every other woman in the cong felt so intimatdated by this elderette that there was no entertaining that happened. They all said " i could never do what she does!"

It should be pointed out that this elderette had two live in house helps and the hardest thing she had to do for the house keeping was arrange her own flowers.

Some in later years tried to have the uber elderette around for dinner, they squirmed with miss placed embarrasment afterwards as they recalled how kindly condesending she had been to them. All most with the attitude of " you poor lowly shit, i'm going to pretend i like this! but really now we both know your shit compared to me!" All of them declared that they would never again attempt to throw a party, they were just so unworthy!

i can personaly attest to having had her in my home and no matter what i did to get the party started her air of " im above all this and you are so shit but i'm such a wonderful person i'm going to tolerate it" basicaly killed the whole evening. Everyone was too scared to do anything that the elderette didn't seem to approve of.

I've mentioned this elderette before as the elderette who farted chanel no 5, and had a family who expected goods and services from the other cult members for free. And if they didn't get it for free then all help and spirtual guidence were withdrawn.

• JRK
    JRK

Why don't you not invite her?

JK

• highdose
    highdose

i did a couple of times, thing is without her approval people were too scared to do anything.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

highdose:

Yes, I may have been invited to a dinner or two over the years by "elderettes" or aspiring elderettes. While they may not have been as materially well-off as the person you mentioned, they did put on a nice show. I also know or have observed what you said about people who want goods and services for free from people in the congregation. They didn't get anywhere with me and I suppose that was one of the reasons I wasn't popular.

While I did appreciate the big "spread", I knew much of it was for show and mainly to impress a C.O. or climb that theocratic ladder! Sometimes people are hospitable because they want something from YOU and they think that by offering you a meal you are going to agree to do favors! In essence, their hospitality is a "hook".

• james_woods
    james_woods

I did not know that Martha Stewart was an elder's wife.

• Glander
    Glander

Maybe off topic, but this made me recall the "progressive dinners" that several of the young couples in the cong. would organize. If I remember correctly the two or three we attended involved going to a starting home for cocktails then driving to a second home for dinner (and more cocktails) and to another home for dessert. This would put several vehicles of sloshed JW's on the road three or times of an evening.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't remember any elderettes being show offs in terms of fanciness. They were very down to earth in that respect.

They had homemade after dinner chocolate mints too but they consisted of a Ritz cracker dipped in mint chocolate. It's made by melting those brown lard discs and adding a few drops of mint flavoring.

• TOTH
    TOTH

In her heyday my wife would have yanked that elderette by her mop and swept the floor with her. No kidding.

• blondie
    blondie

I never knew any (including "just" sisters) who went to that expense...middle class/poor area...no big bucks. I wonder how they justified the time. But I do remember dinners to "honor" the elders and their families, or MS and their families, or the regular pioneers. No parties for the elderly, the single parents and children, the depressed, disabled. I can remember being told not to invite people that were "spiritually weak." Like how could they be encouraged.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Show off elderette, initials K.G ???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit