Wish I didnt know....Part 2 My Story

by Wishididntknow 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wishididntknow
    Wishididntknow

After a terrible break up and being away from the congregation for about 10yrs I started to think about coming back. I couldnt even watch the news anymore because of the termendous anxiety it would cause. I felt that there was a target on my back and the big A would surely come before I could get my act together. about 3 yrs ago I was at a party. A friend of mine started to date a new girl. SHe brought friends....One of those friends was Jen (not real name). When I was in the congregation, I was friends with her brother. We spent the entire night in the corner catching up. She was DF'd. Her husband had killed himself and she ended up in a moment of weakness commiting fornication. She had been out for about 2 yrs and was having a hard time getting reinstated. Since she was dating a non believer the elders were giving her a tough time.

Anyway, She had said some things a bout was was going on in the congregation. Especially about how things were speeding up, we didnt have a book study anymore, and how so many of my old friends were in her hall that I grew up with. When the memorial came around, I went to her congregation. I then went to the special talk, and then I began attending meetings again. I remember one talk that was given was focused on getting back to Jah....I felt like the speaker knew me and was talking to me.... It had been about a year since I broke off my engagement. It was a rough one too....I was feeling lonely and depressed.

Even though I was df'd, the friends in the hall were friendly. Obviously no one chatted wth me, but I would be coming from deep in the parking lot and one of the friends would be holding the door open with a big smile on their face... Or I would get the walk by pat on the shoulder or back when I sat in a Isle. The elders met with me... One of the brothers was so warm and loving. His son was df'd for a long time. I can tell he was pulling for me. After 6mos, I put my letter in. The elders met with me but didnt tell me anything right away. What was weird this time they prayed with me. They other 2 times we met they didnt. In turns out since I was gone so long they needed to write the society since the congregation i was orginally in reorganized. About 8 weeks later I was reinstated. It was a great feeling.

About 6 mos after being reinstated. My ex shows up at my door Hysterical crying. She told me that she wanted to work things out. Long story short, I told her that I could not trust her and that I was back in the congregation. She began to ask alot of questions, she could tell some thing was different about me. After a few weeks, I put her interest in the right perspective, and a pioneer sister in the hall started to call on her and study.

We began to talk all the time.... I still loved this women but I was so devasted about what she did and was hurt. But, here she was studying and taking to the truth. Could I make myself forgive her, would the truth bring integrity to our relationship so I could trust her. Her family was less than pleased about her new interests...Her Mom started to do some internet research online. After a few months, she stopped her study and we stopped talking and she sent me a letter

It was a 4 page letter very personal and emotional, I think it was the closure she and I needed...... The letter ended with... I dont want you to mad at me... I think you should take a look at this website and keep your eyes and heart opened to it... The website was www.JWfacts.com

I have been back in the congregation now for about 2yrs or so attending for almost 3, I spent the last 11/12 years thinking I was dying at Armaggedon. I finally felt safe and secure back in the truth. But things have bothered me about some of the things written in the publications. I always felt apostates were bitter angry evil people. To be honest, some are. But I opened up pandoria's box. And now Im here. I have been all over the internet researching for the last few months.

Im still active, I yo yo about the feelings I get when Im at the meetings.... I sometime cry the whole drive home. I feel quilty like I have commited a sin being here and some times liberated. I understand that I know things now I cant ignore. Im processing what has happened and what I have learned. I started talking to a therapist for the first time in my life just a 3 weeks ago.... Life coach's are amazing and the hour goes by in seconds.... I know what ever I decide, I will be ok...I just need to find my way and fiqure it out. Im scared, confused and sometimes wish I just didnt know....but Im hoping to make new friends. Deal with my anxiety and bypass states of depression and take my life in the direction I see fit.

looking forward to your support and friendships

Thanks for listening. (reading) :)

• Wishididntknow
  • just Ron
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

What a journey.

Especially about how things were speeding up, we didnt have a book study anymore, and how so many of my old friends were in her hall that I grew up with. When the memorial came around, I went to her congregation. I then went to the special talk, and then I began attending meetings again. I remember one talk that was given was focused on getting back to Jah....I felt like the speaker knew me and was talking to me.... It had been about a year since I broke off my engagement. It was a rough one too....I was feeling lonely and depressed.

That paragraph is really enlightening about the vunerability of human emotions, and how it overrides logic. Whilst those external to the WTS see dropping the Book Study as an indicator of bad times for the Watchtower organisation, those indoctrinated into doomsday religions see everything as a sign things are speeding up. You then sat in a talk about coming back to Jehovah (which is a regular topic) and felt it was specifically for you. And finally you went back because of feeling lonely and depressed. All three points show how strong emotion is in retaining people in high control religion.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Just read both parts. wow. What a bumpy ride. I guess reading others people storys can help you. If you have the time, read Ray Franz 2 books, crisis of conscience and in search of christian freedom. they have a very balanced approach

Hoffnung

• Quandry
    Quandry

But I opened up pandoria's box. And now Im here. I have been all over the internet researching for the last few months.

Yes, once you know, you can't unknow. If you notice my name, you will see that for so long I desperately clung to the hope that the WTS was all it was supposed to be...and that even though mistakes were made, etc.

Eventually, after alot of time and yes, reading all the articles the WTS has published over the years, I have to feel differently. I was "in" for over thirty years.

One time, I was conducting a study in the red "Live Forever Book." The book stated that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah would/would not (I forget which) be resurrected. The woman I was studying with said, "That's not what my book says." It seems that the WTS had printed an updated version of the same book, and lo and behold, it DID say the exact opposite of what mine said. Talk about an embarassement! I attended every meeting and didn't even have a "head's up" that this was going to happen.

Oh, yes, and if you've looked into all the "generation" changes the WTS has done over the years, it must be so upsetting to you.

Please keep reading. Down the line, in time, you can make an informed decision.

• GrandmaJones
  • ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Keep doing your research and reading the Bible without WT aids. Please try a version other than the NWT. Perhaps the NIV. Someone on here very recently told me to take notes on what I was reading. .Tremendous help to have those to refer back to! I have learned so much from the people on this forum. It's painful to realize things are not what you thought they were. Please take the advice of jwfacts & read Ray Franz books. They are written without malice, just presenting the facts. I wish you all the best on this journey.

• Fernando
    Fernando

The yo-yo or ping-pong is a common phenomenon in cults as our minds try to resolve the "cognitive dissonance" between our "authentic self" and the imposed "cult self" as explained in Steven Hassan's book "Releasing the Bonds" in the chapter "Interacting with dual identities".

I had a lot of benefit from seeing a Psychologist who personally escaped a cult and who was a person of faith (non-religious). I was diagnosed with PTSD (common with cults) and had psychotherapy, CBT and EMDRAA all of which really helped.

Best wishes on the journey, it can be tough and terrifying but ultimately worth it to be set free from the mental prison that is religion.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Religion does not want us to know that our righteousness is not earned but IMPUTED. This is called justification and is available free to any who open their hearts to (the message about) Jesus.

Religion does not want us to know that our holiness is not earned but IMPUTED. This is called sanctification and is available free to any who open their hearts to (the message about) Jesus.

The big A does not mean what religionists have come to imagine. No surprise since they are wrong on so many counts. According to them Jesus was pro-religion and anti-almost-everything-else. The reverse is true. He did not shun prostitutes and gays but DARED to EAT with them thereby driving the religionists out of their self-righteous minds.

Gehenna is reserved for those who fully embrace self-righteous and supremacist religion and the attendant rejection of the message about Jesus. Guess what's waiting for our favourite Pharisees?! And our beloved Sanhedrin?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit