I finally watched Saturday Night Fever

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 19 Replies latest jw friends

• alex2
    alex2

Thank you Blondie for your comment. I know a lot of French JW who enjoyed this movie when it came out. If you say that you like this film, nobody in my congregation will be shocked.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I was at Bethel during that time period. Everything was Disco, the Bee Gees,Earth Wind and Fire etc...even at certain JW weddings. Your post reminded me of something that happened while I was there in NY in 1976. I was always a pretty good dancer so it was a good time period for me. I went to an amazing wedding one Saturday in the Bronx on a humid summer night. The people in attendance were mostly black and hispanic. The lights went down and it was non stop dancing. Somehow all us good little Witnesses knew the latest worldly dance moves. A sister got up and sang "Inseperable" by Natalie Cole and it gave you goosebumps to hear her voice. I was wearing my nicest clothes that night. A nicely cut dark green jacket, an open necked quiana shirt and a pair light tan colored wide legged cuffed pants and platform shoes (not too high) all of which I had gotten in Europe the summer before I went to Bethel. I danced all evening with a girl I met named Zan, we didn't talk that much because it was so loud but we danced like we had known eachother for years. I'm not really someone who sweats too much but it was so hot and humid that any movement at all made you stickey. Everyone's faces were shiney, Zans bare shoulders were damp and everyone was just sort of clamy but nobody cared. I danced with Zan until the bitter end and walked from the dark reception hall to the the Subway station a few blocks away. Compared to the crowded dance floor I noticed the street was refreshingly cool. Going down the stairs to the platform below and I noticed people were looking at me oddly. When I borded the well lit train I saw a group of cute girls my age checking me out( I thought) but they were kinda giggling too it seemed. I casually gave myself the once over and saw to my horror that my light tan pants were soaking wet all around the waist area and the moisture had sort of wicked downward making dark streaks that looked like I'd wet my pants. All I could think to do was to take my jacket off and tie it around my waist. The girls really giggled when I did that but they were pretty nice, I told them I'd been at a wedding and explained that I had been dancing all evening. They seemed like they were looking for somewhere to go for fun that summer night but of course they weren't JW's so it didn't even enter my head to ask where they were headed.

With all the dire warnings about the wicked world, they rubbed much of the sparkle of youth out of our lives. Still they couldn't vanquish all of my fresh youthfull outlook. I managed to have a pretty good time for myself back then but still I look back on how much I missed out on and how my narrow JW circumstances made me miss opportunities and experiences that are only available to the young. Anyway, years later I dared to see Sat. Night Fever I liked the music but I wondered what all the fuss was about...I was expecting it to be much more shocking.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

hey billy I was just cleaning out the hall closet, and found the old record and looked it over what a great record and movie good for you!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When the movie first came out, it was the lack of opportunities to watch it rather than the Washtowel that denied me the opportunity to watch it. I did get the soundtrack on cassette--and listened to it in study hall when someone else brought in a copy of it and a loaner record player to play it. I have the CD--one CD. Anyone that didn't hear the music should take advantage of the opportunity--it is arguably the best album in the world (Michael Jackson's Thriller would be the other album to take that place).

And yes, they did nurf the rating from R to PG for a while to allow more people to enjoy the movie. But even at R, I see no reason not to enjoy it. A couple of sessions of drug use, mild sex and violence, and swearing--anyone that is interested in the movie or just to see what the fuss is about ought to get it. And even if you aren't into movies, I highly recommend getting the soundtrack. If you don't want to buy a whole CD, at least listen to it if you can stream tracks. You can then buy the tracks you like and skip the rubbish in between (which I doubt too many people are going to find anything on that album that qualifies as rubbish). At the very least, I suggest listening to the first 6 tracks on the disc, since those are the ones that were monster hits.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Gotta admit, didn't attempt to see the movie until recently, and really didn't care for it. The soundtrack IS a killer, I will admit that;many a night at the roller rink

with the music from the movie in the background. But as for the characters and plot, huh? Buncha really oogly people with some bad fashion statements in a weird time capsule of a film.

But the Boys in Brooklyn made it a Forbidden Fruit, and you KNOW how sweet Forbidden Fruit can taste!

• noni1974
    noni1974

I've been watching it since I was a kid. My mom and dad never saw anything wrong with it. Although when I read the lyrics to a couple of songs from Grease to my mother she gave me her DVD of the movie and said she couldn't believe she let us kids watch that dirty movie all of our lives. LOL

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

The back seat in the car sex scene might have sent most dubs over the top, but I thought it was a great coming of age movie!

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

One of my all time favorite flicks! i LOVE that!!!!Thanks for reminding me..Now,Ive gotta watch it again...

• myusername
    myusername

It's really about the main character's growth/self-improvement. He outgrows his family and the neighborhood he is from. In the end he plans on leaving his little job and getting a better one when he moves to the city. I actually think it has a good lesson. It seems at the end of the movie he wants more for himself than to be stuck where he came from. In the beginning he had no plans or direction.

Sorry if I repeated the same thing by saying it different ways. I don't feel like editing.

• myusername
    myusername

Also, it hilights the difference between a woman who respects herself and a woman who doesn't even understand what self-value means.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit