I finally watched Saturday Night Fever

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I remember back when the movie came out how it was condemned by WT. COs, DOs, elders, all ranted against the movie. Other than the profanity, Travolta adjusting himself in his undies, some violence, sex, and drug stuff, it was not "bad". Not nearly as shocking as I was expecting. I was surprised how sad the story was, showing the consequences of the "bad" stuff that happened.

In retrospect, I think WT was crazy to condemn the movie. I thought it had interesting moments of the frustrations of kids and parents. I'd watch it with my kids and let them know that music and dancing can be fun, but there are a lot of dangers out there. I'd want them to know that I'm a better parent than any of the kids in the movie had. I want them to have fun, and more importantly to make good memories, not a bunch of teenage regrets that would ruin the rest of their lives.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I'm in the mood for some Bee Gees now

• Ding
    Ding

"Stayin' Alive"...

... 'til 1975!

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I loved that movie!! Saw it in the theater and mom got me the album. Hehe I'm watching it now! You must be East Coast.

Al Pacino, Al Pacino............Attica! Attica!!

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

You Should Be Dancing!!!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I wasn't big on the Bee Gees falsetto, but overall, the music and dancing in the movie was inspiring.

Yeah, for the last 35 years I shoulda been dancing... instead of wasting my time with Botchtower Corp.

I'm midwest, we get things at the same time as the East Coast.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

First album I ever got was Grieg's Piano Concerto. Second was Led Zeppelin IV. Third was Bee Gees Children of the World. That's pre SNF.

I was a fan.

• alex2
    alex2

Is it still wrong for an American JW to watch Saturday Night Fever?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Billy,

You are so dead at gehennah! That was the tipping point, you awful, awful man. >:O

• blondie
    blondie

I saw the movie in 1977 as a jw with a bunch of other jws all regular pioneers. We didn't see anything that would corrupdt us.

Movies were rated differently back then. It is listed as PG now re-rated from the R in 1977. When shown on TV they tend to be edited unless on a pay channel. It was shown on AMC tonight list iffy for 15+.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit