Does God really have a Name?

by Flaming Seraphim 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Flaming Seraphim
    Flaming Seraphim

I find the name "Jehovah" repugnant. If I ever hear that name again I will surely throw up! As if "Jehovah" is God's real name anyway. Get real! Did the Jews believe that Yahweh was God's liternal name? Of course NOT!

Read this: "And on her forehead a name was written: MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH." Revelation 17:5. So what is the Harlot's name? Are all of these titles literally names?

And what about these verses? "And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS." Revelation 19:16.

"He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God." Revelation 19:13.

So what is God's name? "His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself." Revelation 19:12.

Why should God the Father reveal His personal name (if He has one) to all the cretins on the earth anyway?

How many Demons have ever been caste out by the name Jehovah? NONE. By what name is salvation attained by? By Jehovah? HA! Give us a break!

Flaming Seraphim.
    ~ Never knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run. He hates that.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

You jumped the gun....

The title should be "does God..."

and the answer is: "no he doens't"

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

Yah just have to laff sometimes about all this garbage on the name of our Creator. Just as you have a name, and have selected a name for ussage in here, I would think it reasonable that God does too? Duh?

There are many "titles" that people are called by, such as in your case "Dumb Shit" may just fit the bill? Have you graduated grade school yet?

Norval (foclmao)

• Kep
    Kep

I have great difficulty using Jeh...
    So I don't bother anymore.
    God knows how I think and feel, he can tell when I am talking to him.
    Worries, I have people get my real name wrong anyway, and it's only coz they cant say it properly, but I know they're talking to me.

• Flaming Seraphim
    Flaming Seraphim

The only dum-shit here is YOU.

What makes you think that God has to have a name like man does? Why? Because everyone else has a name? Well DUH! God is NOT like everyone else!

Nobody knows the name of God the Father ~ NOBODY.

Now go and crawl back up Jehovah's ass.

Flaming Seraphim.
    ~ Never knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run. He hates that.

• butalbee
    butalbee

Does God really need a name???

Actually, the name Jehovah orginated from the Roman Catholic church.

I have a web page linked to my favorites, w/ lot's of info regarding this topic, unfortunately my computer was sent out to get a new modem/cleaned, and I have nothing on my spare[at least I'm online, though].

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

I don't know if the Catholics had a hand in the name Jehovah or not but I do know that it is a High German, transliterated combination of two words. In fact, "Jehovah" is the one way we know for sure is NOT the corect name of God. The Jewish people take the commandment of not taking the name of God in vain so seriously that they do not use it at all-- in writing or speaking. Their scribes, when copying the OT, actually inserted the vowels from other words like Adonai(Lord) or Elohim(God) into the tetragrammaton (YHWH) on purpose. The reason for this was to keep the name of God in the inspired places but to clue the reader in to what to say instead of God's name when reading it outloud. So they would instead say Adonai or Elohim which is Lord or God. This shows that since the word 'Yehowah' or 'Jehovah' IS there that it is NOT the correct rendering because the Jews were so superstitious or vigilent about this that they would not have written the correct name of God. The Jewish people still practice this today and can vouch for the innaccuracy of the translation 'Jehovah'. We do, however, have anciet artifacts that do have the Tetragrammaton (YHWH) with its vowels in it and is most literally YAHWEH. I can provide documentation for this if neccessary

I generally use whatever the text in the Bible says or use Lord, God, Father etc... when addressing him. He is not some far off, legalistic, scary person-- he is a loving and caring Father that saved me from the JWs lies- so I love him Yes, all those things you listed are names Similar to how Yahweh is "I Am" from Exodus 3. Have a great day! <>< ANgie

• Justin
    Justin

Flaming Seraphim,

I agree with you that we humans do not possess the personal name of God. In fact, in the highest sense, I do not believe God has a name. The name YHWH is really a name that is not a name.

When God told Moses His "name," speaking in the grammatical first person, the Hebrew words were [i]eyeh asher eyeh[i], translated variously as "I AM THAT I AM" (KJV), "I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE" (NWT), or "I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE" (NIV, margin) at Exodus 3:14. The name YHWH is that same Hebrew verb, but in the third person. So God can say, "I am," but we say "He is."

Such a God cannot be pinned down with a name. The translators of the Greek [i]Septuagint[i] in the second century BCE preferred the "I AM" form, probably because Greek thought is more concerned with essence. This form would carry the meaning that God is the Self-existent One. God just is. But, the other possibility, the "I will be" form, fits well with the context of the Exodus story - that God would reveal himself to his people on the wilderness journey, and he would be whatever he would be for them. This is the God who reveals himself in history. But either way, it is a God who cannot be pinned down or simply defined. So we could say that, yes, YHWH is God's name, but it is a name that is not a name.

The form "Jehovah" is especially repugnant to many of us because of all the repression we have suffered under that name. Let us be thankful that God is beyond all description and definition, and rest assured that he is not the mental idol which has been created in the image of some.

Justin

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

If the Name of God was so important why did He allow the exact pronunciation to be lost? Was it to allow the Watchtower Society the role of restoring the name "Jehovah?" But why was that necessary, especially when it was medieval Catholic scholars like Petrus Galatinus and Raymundus Martini who had already done that? And the name really comes from Latin and was adopted by the translators of the King James Version into the English. But most scholars today think this is a hybrid name and prefer Yahweh instead.
    To sanctify God's name doesn't necessarily call for a specific name anymore that the terminology "In the name of the Law," memeans that the Law has a specific name.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Adonai438
    What you said.
    Thats pretty much exactly what I learned regarding his name but with a little different twist.
    The reason God's name was omitted from text and replaced with 'clues'
    was because they believed that No one was anylonger "Worthy" of not only "speaking" God's name out loud but they were not even worthy of 'Looking' upon his name when written. It wasn't just fear of miss use of his name but a complete fear of even speaking his name at all. When they went through this process of removing Gods name it was done in almost a ritualistic manor. I think they had to also be completely covered (except eyes) when doing this. They basiclly suppersticious.
    plm

"The fellow that agrees with everything you say is either a fool or he is getting ready to skin you."
    - Kin Hubbard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit