Should I say something?

by Flat_Accent 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ding
    Ding

Most JWs can't conceive of there being a legitimate reason for people not to agree with them about something the WT teaches.

They view it as their obligation to help you get your mind right ( = agree 100% with the "latest truth" from the "faithful and discreet slave.")

• mouthy
    mouthy

My advice would be say nothing... The fact they are still talking to you is a wonder...
    But since it is your parents house ,unless you have some where to live,shut up.

You will be out on your ear in no time I think, If they obey the Org...
    Just my advice. But your allowed to think now your free..& I suggest Praying about it
    is a good option.

Granny Grace ( Mouthy)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I'm guessing you still live with your parents. You could always remind them that they are not supposed to be having a "spiritual discussion" in the presence of a disfellowshipped/disassociated person. By doing so they are being unfaithful (Luke 16:10) and could be disfellowshipped themselves!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Flat_Accent:

These aren't my words, they were something I read on this site some time ago but I find them priceless:

Whenever someone starts up with the "how close we are to the end" stuff, I just say "I didn't want to continue marinating in the doomsday atmosphere of the KH, that's why I no longer go." Gets very quiet after that...on to next topic...hope that helps! Works for me.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Just read a magazine (secular) at dinner. If they're going to treat you that way then scew them.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

If they start up with that just ask them to explain:

Some of these were concerning:

• The Society's flip-flopping on issues:
      • Generation - what does it mean?
        • Just WTF is an "overlapping generation"?
          • What's the SCRIPTURAL validation of this concept?
          • Where was it three years ago?
          • How come these "spirit-directed" leaders didn't know it then?
      • Higher Education: remember how I felt during the elder's meeting where it was stated that any one pursuing such could not have privileges, only months after I completed my degree!!!
      • Oral Sex - (not even scriptural in the 1st place)
    • The Society's Hypocrisy
      • As an NGO of the UN
      • Failure to admit mistakes re chronology
        • 1914 and the "imminent end"
          • AWAKE! of May 22, 1969: "If you are a young person. you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years ."
            • Later on I learned that CT Russell said 1914 was to be the End, not the Beginning of the End.
      • (Pedophiles can be elders - this I only found out later)
    • Things that just didn't make sense:
      • The increasing number of anointed in the annual report
        • compare to published expectations and later published statistics:
          • "Over the years the number of those who are truly anointed has been getting smaller." - w2000 1/15, p. 12
          • Memorial partakers
            • 2005: 8,524 - Historical low
            • 2006: 8,758
            • 2007: 9,105
              • This was a 3.8% increase in partakers which is greater than the 3.1% increase in JW overall!
            • 2008: 9,986
            • 2009: 10,857 (obviously these last two statistics are from after I left)
            • 2010: 11,202?
      • The Faithful and Discreet Slave:
        • Who exactly are they?
        • What role, if any, do they have in doing what we are told they supposedly do?
        • Why don't the GB know who they are?
          • "We thus have no way of knowing the exact number of anointed ones on earth; nor do we need to know. The Governing Body does not keep a list of all partakers, for it does not maintain a global network of anointed ones." - Question From Readers, w2011 8/15 p. 22
      • No beards
      • Academic sloppiness and/or dishonesty
        • Scriptural "proof" texts that don't relate to the actual point of discussion
        • Failure to cite "experts" quoted
      • Appointments by "Holy Spirit" …. how does that work when "appointed men" commit sins?
  • Gayle
    Gayle

So you're at least 19? Going to college? So your parents are allowing you to stay obviously. Your father must not be an elder, nor ministerial servant, nor your mom a pioneer I would guess. Your parents and friends are quite liberal to spend a dinner with you? An unusual setting.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I agree with most of the posters above.... In principle...

If you're living with your parents, it might be wise not to "rock the boat"...

And since they're still speaking to you, despite the Watchtower article on how "mentally diseased" apostates are, then you do have a better situation than many, many others on this board...

However..... [And keep in mind that this comment is coming from a She-Devil.... ]

If you have access to OLDER Watchtower publications - and I'm talking about the ACTUAL PUBLICATIONS - the "HARD COPY", not the revised versions on Watchtower CDs - you could have some REAL FUN...

Use the "search" function on this site to find the various publications in which the Watchtower Corporation has stated dates for "Armageddon"...

You may need to get some REALLY old books for this project - many of these books are [or were....] available online thru bookstores...

For that matter, if you can get your hands on a few of the older books, you could regale your listeners with "old" light... If the "old" light happens to match something the Watchtower magazines have flip-flopped on - again - then so much the better....

You might get some REALLY good giggles yourself, just reading the old material on your lonesome....

Zid

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have been put in a similar situation many times, and agree that it is very rude of JWs to behave in such a manner. I am expected to respect them and not say anything that agrees with them, but they will constantly make comments that disrespect my position (whilst expecting me to sit quietly through it). The final conversation I recently had with my mother after my fathers funeral was to highlight exactly that point. She agreed that I had been controlled in not being argumentative about anything, but concluded that if I wasn't going to come back to her point of view she would have nothing more to do with me.

There is nothing to be gained by saying your piece, it will just cause arguments and destroy your relationship with your family. I would tell your parents that you feel disrespected by their constant religious based comments in your presence (something that are not supposed to do anyway) and you will no longer participate in the family meals when other JWs are there.

• xtreemlyconfused17
    xtreemlyconfused17

lol @OODAD do u reeeealy wish the best for the dude!! Dats not a good idea

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit