LA Times Front Page - JWs Treated Without Blood

by BizzyBee 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• DNCall
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Oops! Sorry. Meant "write reply and upload."

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You know what I can't understand. They prohibit blood, but will allow a bone marrow transplant. I didn't need this type of treatment for my leukemia, but I checked. Now they have to kill your own bone marrow in order to make your body ready to accept foreign bone marrow. Which means you may not be able to make blood for a while while the transplant takes. That of course increases the need for transfusions. It just never made sense---unless they look at it as Jews were allowed to eat the marrow. Which I'm sure they do, but it still highlights how ridiculous it is. It's an imaginary, and arbitray line they draw.

NC

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

They really should give the members the right to choose, based on their concience.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

forgot about the marrow, good point

• DNCall
    DNCall

I submitted a letter to the editor of the LA Times in response to this article. I doubt that it will be published, so here it is for you:

Kudos to Dr. Michael Lill for providing treatment to Jehovah’s Witnesses despite the fact that he is, as described by Ms. Gorman, “a committed atheist who views [their] belief system as wholly irrational.”

Having been a member of the Witness religion for over 50 years, I do, however, take exception to Ms. Gorman’s use of the terms “biblically centered” and “literal interpretation of the Bible” when referring to the Witnesses’ belief regarding blood.

The following is a literal interpretation of what the Bible says about blood: When God first allowed Man to kill animals for food, the animal’s blood was to be removed so as not to be eaten. It was to be poured out on the ground. By doing so, Man would be showing proper respect for the sacredness of the animal’s life, in God’s eyes.

Jehovah’s Witnesses go far beyond a “literal interpretation of the Bible” when they say that this rule covers blood transfusions. Blood transfusions do not involve the taking of a life, as in the case of killing animals for food. Blood transfusions do not violate the sacredness of life. In fact, they are, in countless cases, the only way to preserve life.

Why do the Witnesses believe this way? It is not because they are “biblically centered.” It is to add to their list of beliefs that make them unique among myriad Bible-based religions, thus bolstering the claim that their organization alone is the true religion. It is a case of being organization-centered not biblically centered.

Frank Kavelin
    Santa Monica, California

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ya never know.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I just made a comment on that news site today. Shows 171 commenters there now. Do you sometimes make comments on news articles like this if available? I actually sent a 'thank you' to Dr. Lill.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Good letter DNC.

• blondie
    blondie

How many jws know they can have a stem cell transplant?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit