Why Did Ray Franz Still Go On Field Service?

by BroMac 28 Replies latest jw friends

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    It took me over ten years to even begin to realize I had a problem!!

Terry, if you don't mind, I know you've posted much about yourself in the past, but do you have thread that exclusively touches on this right here? If not, can you do one? I'd love to read it as I'm dealing with something similar as of late.

edit post:

Sticking with the thread topic, as Band stated, he was really fair to the religion to the point that it made the WT really look like complete assholes for taking the stance that they did regarding him and other detractors to their form of fascism. At the same time, to be fair, as many have pointed out, there's plenty to be found within the WT religion, and what's found amongst JWs, is not all that different from many other denominations. That being said, to make the transition from one belief system to another, shouldn't be all that shocking, I guess.

Considering Franz's writings before passing away, from the interactions that some have posted on here with questions they've emailed or written him, it appeared that much of the WT doctrine he still agreed with, such as John 1:1, 2 for example. To me, it seemed like his biggest issue was the totalitarian control freak aspect of the WT and the self serving arrogant egotism that was really starting to rear its head in the religion when he was on his way out.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Ding said, 'They would go right back in if the organization were run by people like Ray Franz.'

It would cease being a cult and rechannel the energy of the Witnesses into more fruitful endevours. I suspect membership would swell.

Of course, there would be less of an organization. I do wonder: What would Ray do? (imagining if the reigns were turned over to him in the 80's?)

* He would most likely disband the printing business, liquidate vast propery holdings.

* I suspect there would be home congergations. No need for "Kingdom Halls".

* The main textbook would really be the Bible.

* There would likely be a name change revolving around the name Christian.

• binadub
    binadub

And shunning would be abolished!

~Binadub

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I appreciate Ray Franz ... his experience and books have been very helpful to me. However, I get the impression that if he was never forced out by the heavy-handed tactics used against him, he would have remained a quiet, perhaps disillusioned, but loyal follower of the Organization. Just my opinion. Whatever the case, I am grateful it turned out as it did and so are countless others.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Wannabe, good point. If Ray had been treated better....... I don't want to think about it!

• pbrow
    pbrow

From reading his books I feel that Mr Franz beleived in the bible and going door to door was probably ONE of the ways he spread the message of the bible. I have a relative that is actually still stuck inside does the exact same thing.

If one still beleives in the bible there is nothing wrong with going door to door. It is ONE avenue for the message to get across. I am positive that is what Mr Franz felt as well. Mr Franz was not disallusioned but towards the end just did what he thought he should do. He kept his own councel.

I will always respect the memory of Mr Franz and am glad he had the courage to take the route he did. He touched more lives than I think he or his wife could ever know.

pbrow

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

There are many times in life when one has to "go through the motions" until one figures out what to do or until there is no other choice but to make a big change. Looking back it seems to me that many JW's are in that state. They are in agreement with enough of the teachings, or believe they should be in agreement with all of them and feel they are to blame because they aren't or their life is so intertwined with it that leaving is just not in the cards for them. Only when there is some crisis or when they are seriously wronged does the house of cards collapse and change is unavoidable. Ray Franz was ousted. I don't know if he continued in the preaching work after that, but if he did it was likely because it was a way of life for him and he still felt compelled to spread God's word. I don't know where he would direct those who showed intrest. Perhaps he would have just encouraged them to read their Bibles or studied it with them and left it in God's hands to take it from there.

For him to have been reinstated he'd have had to acknowledge some wrongdoing on his part and admit his actions were those of an Apostate. Because of his former position, they'd likely have required him to make some sort of public apology. (example) We had a Bethelite who was made by the GB or whomever, to fly to the west coast to apologize to our congregation for breaking off an engagement with one of the sisters there.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

What issues could have been reconciled with Brother Frantz and Brother Dunlap, if the W.T.S. was willing to adjust their viewpoint? I am not familiar

with their grievances, would they have been for the better, made the brotherhood stronger? If the Apostle Paul and Barnabas were the direction

used by the Holy Spirit in Acts 15, it screams, there are brothers who are empowered with Holy Spirit, to bring change when needed!

• BroMac
    BroMac

thanks for the input.

it's clear that Ray loved the scriptures, and talking among and with others about them comes through his books and also letters/emails that others have shared. some of which are lengthy and no doubt would have taken a considerable amount of his time.

exwhyzee- that was the reason for asking the question, knowing what he did, he couldn't direct them to the JW's. but he does write that he enjoyed field service.

BroMac

• BroMac
    BroMac

pbrow -

nice post, i agree with you, that makes sense. plus Ray Franz had 40yrs behind him of full time service. it's just what he DID i suppose. what a man

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit