Why Did Ray Franz Still Go On Field Service?

by BroMac 28 Replies latest jw friends

• BroMac
    BroMac

in his book he says he still went out on field service.

why would he do that?

i'm finding it so hard to go out, i only take my bible.

BroMac

• Alfred
    Alfred

3 possible reasons come to mind

1. he was hoping that things would change eventually
    2. he needed a clean exit strategy... quitting cold turkey was not the right way to do that
    3. he was still programmed (it takes sometimes several years to deprogram
  • blondie
    blondie

before or after he was df'd..............?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You have to remember Ray Franz did not want to leave the organization, by his own account they pushed him out.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    You have to remember Ray Franz did not want to leave the organization, by his own account they pushed him out.

Yes - that is true. Both Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap were actually would-be reformers. They thought they could change the WT religion for the better.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I can't recall a single moment and voila, I was out. JWs were the religion of his family. Most people transition out of the JWs. If I recall, he was d'f'd not for apostacy but for a technicality. They prob. knew he took documents with him. UP to this day, Franz Franz has been the most prominent defector with the m ost factually damning attitude of the Witnesses.

I was reading In Search of Christian Freedom. He is so fair to the Witnesses. The pages would burn if I wrote the account.

Once you leave, you don't have to be so pristine and anal about your actions as when a Witness.

• talesin
    talesin

ummm, who cares? Perhaps focus on what YOU are doing in your life .. he's just man, who wrote a book ..

A whistleblower,,, and to my way of thinking, a hero! but would he want you to be worrying about such things? I think not .. go,, live .. be free,, Ray is gone,, you are alive!

t

• steve2
    steve2

...some people wean themselves off their religious rituals before they leave their religion, others wean themselves off those rituals only sometime after they leave...

And it's not unique to JWs either:

A childhood 'acquaintance' of mine was raised in the 7th-Day Adventist Church. I met up with him again when we were young adults. He disclosed to me that he had left that church, but for months afterwards could not bring himself to do any "worldly" work on Saturdays. Gradually, though, as the months turned into years, he was able to treat Saturday as just another day of the week, albeit a weekend day. But every now and then he would get the 'guilts'.

It's the same with all kinds of ingrained religious behaviours: Some people find it extremely difficult just to switch those behaviours off - even when they no longer believe in them.

We humans are creatures of habit.

• Ding
    Ding

I think Ray still believed a lot of the teachings, at least at first.

Recently, I've encountered a number of inactive JWs who still believe the teachings but can't stand the harshness and legalism of the organization.

They would go right back in if the organization were run by people like Ray Franz.

• Terry
    Terry

Your entire World View, your sense of life, your compass bearings are in place when you leave and--what would change them?

You have the same mind, the same foundational beliefs, the same way of "reasoning".

Your presuppositions support every "logical" connection you make.

It took me over ten years to even begin to realize I had a problem!!

I had to take every word, every concept in my vocabulary and write down a REAL definition to replace the old ones!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit