Holy Cow! A Mr. Falcon post! (persecution obsession)

by Mr. Falcon 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Yup. It's me. Let's begin.

I went to the Kingdom Hall yesterday for the first time in awhile. The public talk was something like "Trust In Jehovah" and the speaker (whom I know personally and is a tad "off") was rambling on about the persecution that we are going to face imminently. One part of his talk I was particularly appalled by was when he presented the following scenerio:

"Imagine right now that a SWAT team comes charging in here and tells us that the Department of Homeland Security has ordered that all Kingdom Halls be closed immediately. And then they put a piece of paper in front of each of you to sign that would say that you renounce Jehovah as your God."

We were invited to the Special Talk.

Then he talked about how your refusal to sign such a document could result in your being taken out back and SHOT IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD. Now truth be told, if such an incident occurred, please believe that Mr. Falcon would be pushing women and children out of the way to get the chance to sign that document. What the hell, I may ask for two so that I can feel the orgasmic rush of signing my name on such a document twice. But I digress.

Such a statement caused me to reflect on two subjects. The first was how it seems that JWs love to talk about the "coming persecution" with the same excitement as a douchebag fratboy looks forward to an upcoming Adam Sandler comedy. The second was a torrent of memories that came back to me of nightmares I used to have as a child. I would read about the torture and executions in the concentration camps that prisoners endured (and since the propaganda in the Watchtower would have one believe that those camps were exclusively built to kill JWs) and even remember having a nightmare where I was actually crucified Jesus-style. It didn't help that the publications would depict vivid artwork of early 1st century Christian men, WOMEN & CHILDREN being devoured by lions and dogs or burned alive.

Not exactly what Bartholomew thought when he was told that he had "floor seats to the event".

So, does anybody else feel that the JWs have taken a sort of macabre longing for the persecution that they paranoidily (is that a word) think is going to happen to them?

• zoiks
    zoiks

Hey Falcon.

Yes. The euphoric rush of anticipation and anxiety when contemplating such a nightmare scenario is a powerful motivator. And the perception of persecution, even of impending or future persecution, is a good source of confirmation bias for the believer.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I would say something that I have that I could say but I particularly do not like ad hominem attacks. And once a poster has the rep, it will never stop.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Zoiks, I remember when I was a few years younger, I would have this recurring fear that I would be put on trial for making a "stand for the Truth". And they they would march in all the internet logs of where I've been. No wonder I drink.

Oh go ahead Nancy. It's cool.

• blondie
    blondie

I figure he who is faithful in least will be faithful in much. So many jws are hypocrites that hide pedophiles, lie and reveal confidences, shield their children from DF sins they quickly case out others' children, slander other jws like stabbing them in the back....

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I would say something that I have that I could say but I particularly do not like ad hominem attacks. And once a poster has the rep, it will never stop.

Fascinating. I admire your self control.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Greetings Mr falcon.

Like you, as a young boy, I was scared of the day when we would be tortured horribly, and back then we were told

that it was surely coming. But now I'm grown up, I wonder " do they really believe they are that important?

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Fascinating. I admire your self control.

ummm.... not to get off topic of my own thread, but am I missing something here? I haven't been on in awhile and I'm sensing some hostility. Did something happen during my absence?

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Hey Mon Capitan,

How you been? Yeah, the old folks used to love tell of all the horrible persecutions that you will face when THE GREAT TRIBULATION begins!

• N.drew
    N.drew

Oh go ahead Nancy . It's cool.

It is not cool because it is philisophical. They will hit me. Or they won't and I will be left wondering why they didn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit