• target
    target

From the Milwaukee, Wisconsin Newspaper:

Crash victim was on religious outing
    Richfield boy was planning Jehovah's Witnesses visits
    By PETER MALLER
    of the Journal Sentinel staff
    Last Updated: Feb. 18, 2002
    Town of Hartford - A 17-year old Richfield boy killed when he drove his car into an oncoming vehicle Saturday was a Jehovah's Witness about to go door-to-door to spread word of his religion, the teenager's father said Monday.

Christopher Zynski, an only child, was traveling on Washington County Highway CC to meet his father and grandmother so they could visit homes together to preach, Robert Zynski, the boy's father, said in an interview.

Robert Zynski said he was supposed to meet his son at Kingdom Hall, a Jehovah's Witnesses meeting place, in Hartford. The father drove separately because he had to pick up his mother-in-law to bring her there, he said.

"He was a good boy. He never gave us a lick of trouble," said Robert Zynski of Richfield. "He helped lots of people. He had lots of friends."

Accident investigators think Christopher Zynski hit a patch of slushy snow that caused him to lose control of his car, Washington County Sheriff Jack Theusch said.

Zynski slid into the opposing lane of traffic and was struck by a car driven by Hilda Winkle, 59, of Jackson.

She was airlifted to Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in Wauwatosa. Police said her injuries were not life-threatening.

Investigators concluded that Zynski appeared to be traveling about 50 mph in a 55-mph speed zone, Theusch said. Alcohol apparently was not a factor in the crash, Theusch said.

"It's just one of those things that are tragic," the sheriff said.

Robert Zynski said his son always was a cautious driver.

"He had his seat belt on," Zynski said.

The teenager, who was home-schooled, was about to complete his junior year of high school, his father said.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Kingdom Hall, 3642 Kettle Moraine Drive, Hartford. A memorial talk will follow.

The body will be cremated, the father said.

"When we saw him Saturday (before the accident), he was so jolly - and that's the way we want to remember him," Robert Zynski said.

Besides his father, Christopher Zynski is survived by his mother, Margaret.

• JBean
    JBean

Sad event. I agree tho', you'd never hear THIS experience at an assembly... but you could be sure, if he crashed into another car on his way to a party/movie, etc. instead of going out in service.... THAT would be something to devote to a skit to intimidate the youth!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

JBean, how true.

Let me guess how they would phrase it if it was a party he was going to-

"Friends, let us not forget a recent tragedy we all faced when one of our brothers decided to put worldly pleasures above God's just moral requirements. If he hadn't strayed from the path God has given us, he may very well be alive today."

Muckety-muck, etc.

• HenryP
    HenryP

It is very distasteful to use such a sad, tragic event to make fun of JWs.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

It is a tragedy, but JB made a good point. I was expounding on that. Hopefully the boy's parents make it through ok.

But, you have to admit, that the boy would have less of a stirring tribute if he had been driving to a party, etc.....

And please, no shows of indignance, it's just an opinion.

ashi

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This unfortunate tragedy could have been avoided if he had been living up to his responsibilities by drinking at Hooters at the time.

• Preston
    Preston

I wholeheartedly agree with Henry that such an event should not be used to make fun of JW's, nevertheless, I don't think JBean's and ashitaka's comments were meant to make fun of the organization, it's a somber reality that "time and unforseen circumstance" is used to demonize pleasure, work, etc.... I think leaving the organization has only made me appreciate life more, and I honestly hope Christopher's life is remembered by his friends, family, and congregation. It sounded like he was a good kid, and I hope his family gets through this terrible part of their life. The most the elders can do is provide an honorable celebation of his life at the memorial rather than using it as another in a long series of informercials promoting the resurrection, soemthing that they'd probably get at the Watchtower study anyway.... it makes every JW's life sound so artificial, sad...

• JBean
    JBean

HenryP: I did not comment to make fun of JW's... I am STILL a JW although inactive. What I was commenting on was the sheer inappropriateness of much of what is given from the platforms, either at assemblies or local Kingdom Halls.

Don't even BEGIN to tell me that the brothers don't give these examples when they fit their needs. I was born and raised a JW and from as far back as I can remember I've always heard.... "now, if so&so was doing this & such instead of WORLDLY things... it would've gone much better for them..." This sad experience with this young kid just brought this thought of how it would never be used at a convention to mind.

• 25ashitaka25
    25ashitaka25

Preston, JB....right.

ashi

• Wren
    Wren

This reminds me of a ~1974 fatal interstate freeway car accident in the midwest, of six JW's in service. One of them was a young temporary special pioneer, I knew, that moved to the midwest assignment. If I remember correctly all were killed. Something was said about Satan personally striking a blow against JW's. It angered me there after to hear about Jehovah vs Satan protecting or punishing/tormenting anyone. If the WTS is correct about "protecting His people" hype, how in the heck would six be killed in service by accident? I hope they remember the person, also, and not use the death to further a control agenda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit