was there anything good?

by singsongboi 12 Replies latest jw friends

• freeman
    freeman

I can think of a couple of good things that came out of my experience with the Watchtower. I quit my almost 3-pack a day cigarette habit. I can’t tell you what that saved me in dollars let alone in extending my life.

The other thing is that I was trained how to speak publicly (TMS). I have always had a shy streak and speaking in the hall helped me overcome that fear. Now I can talk before audiences of 500+ professionals without peeing my pants, a big step for me.

But all things considered, it was a very expensive way to quit smoking and learn to speak in public. It cost me many years of my life. Better to have worn a nicotine patch and take a toastmasters course instead.

Freeman

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

singsongboi...I had to think long and hard...and it was a struggle to come up with something that has made a positive impact on my life now.

I found one...I learnt how to be 'industrious' because my elder husband always lived in fear that we would be viewed as materialisitc...and so he thrived on having very little and being regarded as 'humble'. I learnt how to sew...(all those late nights sewing little dresses for my girls and cute little suits for my son for conventions)...I learnt how to cook...(all those Sunday's when we would host the visiting speaker and his wife/family for lunch)...I learnt how to do flower arrangements...(all those hours spent on preparing the flowers for the Special Talks or for memorial night)...and last but not least...I learnt how to act...(all those years faking I was happy).

Beck

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

yay! beck --
    i thot long time too...

can relate to what you say -- seen it all in my own family!!

but this matter of materialism is a funni one... in my last congregation ( Baulkham Hills, Sydney) one of the elders, an ex bethelite built a quite large house.... he'd become prosperous thru one of those little business deals tha sometimes take off.

i look at my life, and wonder where the 40 years went...!!! but maybe all life is like that!!

there were some happy times tho...can't write it all off. ... but gotta say that i have more genuinely happy times now..!!

tell u one problem tho... i have to check myself all the time for thinking in apocalyptic terms!!!!!

thanx everyone for sharing some thoughts...

kenni

i guess no-one had the courage to call him materialistic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit