was there anything good?

by singsongboi 12 Replies latest jw friends

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

i sometimes ask myself this question - i think i was 'there' for nearly 40 years and wonder at the waste.

what good came from it?

did anyone really find some good in all of the things we did?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

When asking JW's why do JW's do bad things, the canned response is: because they're imperfect human beings, because people make mistakes, because all religions have those problems.

Then it cannot be untrue that, when Jehovah's Witnesses do GOOD things; they're imperfect human beings, because people do good things, because good people exist in all religions.

No, it was not a waste of time because as Maximus is so fond of saying, "It isn't the destination, it's the journey."

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• Dutchy
    Dutchy

I learned to recite from memory all the books of the Bible, in order.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

We certainly learned a lot about humans, and the rotten things that we do to each other. I think now we're wise enought to get beyond the petty guilt trips people put on us.....the dubs were experts, anyone else is just second best.

ashi

• pamkw
    pamkw

I learned to speak in front of groups of strangers and not be scared. That is the one thing I can say was good about my experiences. So in college I am always one of the first to volunteer to do something in front of the class. (Okay, so I like to show off.)

Pam

• Xander
    Xander

Hmmmm...let me think....

- I'm a much better public speaker (wait, no I wasn't, didn't get any better until taking classes at college)

- Uhhh...I study better? (oh, crap, college again, and anyway - not according to the WTBTS, now I look up quotes and verify primary sources - try doing that for a bookstudy and see how far it will get you!)

- More love for my fellow man! Yeah, that's it, my wife and I actually contribute to charities that actually HELP peop....oh, crap, that's not something the WTBTS teaches, is it? Damn....

(BTW, ashi, I love your pic!)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • ofcmad
    ofcmad

Yeah --
    The only good thing that they did was tell me what not to do. Then when I left I did the opposite. I carry a gun, read the bible and understand it most of it all by myself, became a cop, help my community, can go to any church I want, not feel guilty about little sins in life, can walk into a library and read any material, am patriotic..yada yada.

ofcmad

• ISP
    ISP

No smoking or drugs for me!

ISP

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

It kept me from doing drugs......Well I sure could have used some drugs when I got burned.

I'll think of something soon.
    All I can say is.....It made me what I am today....
    Is anybody proud of me? My JW parents aren't.

TimB

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

Hatred.

"Brother, you better get down on your knees and pay...a thousand more fools are being born every f***ing day" -Bad Religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit