Stronger than Hypnosis

by Londo111 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

JWs are conditioned to have a negative knee-jerk reaction when anyone tries to present evidence against the WT Org.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Something pale.emperor said in another topic:

In hypnosis we call this a "yes set". You get someone to agree with something minor, then get them to agree with another minor or ambiguous thing then they're more than likely to agree with the third because the brain likes consistency.

That was stunning, because this is exactly the JW indoctrination process.

I googled 'yes set' and found this: https://hypnosistrainingacademy.com/4-covert-agreement-tactics-to-set-a-yes-mood-in-hypnosis/

What is interesting is at how the initial points are exactly how JW Broadcasting opens and their manner of speaking and creating reporte. "We warmly welcome you... blah blah blah".

I don't know about Watchtower leaders, but I don't think the rank and file intentional use these methods to induce a suggestible state during a Bible study. But then again, intentional or not, it would seem these method make people suggestible at the very least. Whether it qualifies as hypnosis, it certainly is deep and long lasting.

Perhaps pale.emperor or someone familiar with this subject can weigh in.

• sir82
    sir82

In hypnosis we call this a "yes set". You get someone to agree with something minor, then get them to agree with another minor or ambiguous thing then they're more than likely to agree with the third because the brain likes consistency.

Yep.

JW "Bible" study, phase 1: "The world is full of terrible evil. A loving God would want you live in paradise where these problems no longer exist. And that is what he promises! Isn't that grand?""

Student: "Of course!"

Phase 2: "God has a personal name, and every other Christian organization has tried to hide it from you."

Student: "Huh. Well, I see 'Jehovah' in my KJV at Psalms 83:18 so I guess I'll accept that."

Phase 3: "God hates it when you celebrate holidays or birthdays with your family."

Student: "Well...yeah, I see the point."

Phase 4: "Every last number in the book of Revelation is 100% purely symbolic and not to be taken literally....except for '144,000', that is stone-cold dead literal."

Student: "I see....well, you must know more than I do, so OK."

Phase 5: "It's better to die being loyal to God than to accept a medical treatment that we tell you is bad. Look at Acts 15:29, it contains "abstain' and 'blood' in the same sentence, so therefore it must mean that 21st century medical procedures are included as well."

Student: "Yeah, I do see 'abstain' and 'blood' in the same sentence, so you must be right."

Phase 6: "It is entirely loving for you to shun anyone who we tell you to shun even if it is your very own son or daughter."

Student: "You've been right about everything else, so yeah, I'll buy that."

And so on.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Mind is really powerful and could be manipulated....like for example in North Korea....a lot of people over there really think the best about their 'beloved comrade leader'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit