Judge rejects girl's request to stop transfusion

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest jw friends

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

What if a non-JW sixteen year old did not want blood? Should blood be forced on them?

IW

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

This is my personal opinion only based on my experience with my 2 kids. They are age 14 and 18, both honor students in advanced academic programs, well rounded with regard to social activities, music, friends, and both generally considered to be very mature for their age. We get along very well. The 18 year old, especially, has a lot of autonomy, which he has demonstrated the ability to handle.
    I can see huge differences in maturity and especially judgement between a 16 year old and 18 year old. At 18, my son can step back a bit better and be more objective in his evaluation of things. He is more open minded and extremely questioning of many things, including, his parents, religion, and why things are the way they are. He very definately makes his own decisions, but is able to reason and explain what they are based on.

So, to answer your question, I don't think a 16 year old should be allowed to choose death over their life. They would be more likely to be intimidated into agreeing with their parents. They have less independence, less judgement and less experience to base their decision on. I don't care what their religion is.

A couple of years can make a huge difference. I know it differs with every individual. I think preserving the life of a child, even an older child, is worth it. My personal opinion.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Concerned Mama,

He is more open minded and extremely questioning of many things, including, his parents, religion, and why things are the way they are. He very definately makes his own decisions, but is able to reason and explain what they are based on.
    You have just described my son who will be fifteen in April. Kids mature at different rates.

Should he be disallowed the right of self determination because of his age alone?

IW

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hi Island Woman,
    I think you will be pleased to see how much even farther your son grows in the next few years. Like I said, my kids have always been thought to be mature for their age, but my son's thought process really seems to have changed somehow, epecially in the last 6 months. I don't know if it because he is in university or just a maturation process. I saw a part of a show recently on teenage neurology explaining how there is actual major physiological changes in the brain of teenagers, which affects how they process information. I wish I had seen all of it, as it was fascinating.

I don't know your children, as you don't know mine, so we are speaking in generalities. As I said, and it is my personal opinion only, that I believe society has a responsibility to protect children from death, even self inflicted. The younger the child is, the more vulnerable he/she is to outside influences. Perhaps, because I have never been JW, I am not being sensitive to someone who believes that this would be placing their spiritual health below their physical health. I also would not believe in forcing continued medical treatment on anyone when there is no longer any hope. Laws tend be be made to protect those who need it, which sometimes means that individual rights are less important.

For my own kids, if there was no rational reason such as quality of life , I would fight like HE**, to keep them alive or convince them of the value of the continuation of their life. Again, my own personal situation only, as I have been involved with someone (an adult)who wished to end their life, was not allowed to, and was very happy about it after the fact.

The question you bring up regarding age and self determination is an excellent one, and has led to the current debate in Alberta and all of Canada. There is certainly no easy answer.

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

IW,

I think the real question here is did the young woman in Canada truly make her own decision? Or was it coerced using fear tactics? If she had all the facts about what she believes, would she make the same choice? If she knew that God wasn't behind her belief, would she choose to die? Her rights are being trampled by the JWs.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

BINGO LDH!

I bet you anything this woman is secretly glad her husband is non-JW.
    That was me! What a little hypocrite I was. I would have pretended to be all loyal but secretly been glad my husband saved my child's life.
  • hawkaw
    hawkaw

js,

You are absolutely right on what the real question is. The question has to be did the JWs disclose everything for her to make a proper conscience decision.

Would she take HemoPure? Would she take another product etc. Does she really know what the policy means and why? Are the JWs deceiving her? And do the JWs honestly and in good faith believe in their doctrine.

The other side has case law they can use thanks to a NewBrunswick court. And I know the lawyer will play the "freedom of religion" angle for all he is worth. I also know he really doesn't represent the girls interests. If he did he would disclose the entire policy to her.

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit