Judge rejects girl's request to stop transfusion

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest jw friends

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

For the board's information I have sent a personal Email to Mark Kastner of the Alberta Child Services. Mr. Kastner is the Director of communications for the Child Services. In other words he is the main "spin doctor".

However, through him I thanked the Ministry's staff and wished the young lady well.

I will not disclose the contents of the Email but lets just say I am here to help Counsel if there is an appeal.

So I say to Mr. Gnam - you want to appeal? Do you really want to appeal big fella?? Well go for it!!! But remember who is on the other side.

hawk

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

You're right, Henry P.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

HenryP:

Patients rights is a serious issue. We all should have the right to accept or refuse any medical treatment.
    I agree completely.

Other rights we should have:

the right to access information that allows us to make informed decisions, without censure or coercion.

the right to freedom from censure or coercion once we have made our decision.

Expatbrit

• LDH
    LDH
    We all should have the right to accept or refuse any medical treatment.

Based on accurate statistics and info from the field of medicine.

*NOT* based on he incoherent ramblings of 12 senile old men who actually think they speak for Jehovah! Jehovah seems to change his mind quite a bit about which medical treatments are allowed for true Christians. (TM) [8>]

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH

bttt

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Thank you, Hawk, for stepping up to the plate. Would it be worthwhile to contact any of the reporters covering the story, so that they know that there is contoversy within the JW community? It is a pretty big story here right now.

The lawyers arguements are now on the issue of whether the girl is a mature minor and should have control over her own body.

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/story.asp?id={090E303C-0D94-41E8-AE3A-86A51A984E7E}

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

This lawyer has a good case thanks to some stupid judge in New Brunswick who let a minor "teenager" JW make the decision.

I am going to try and deal with the government officials in this and not the lamestreet press for the simple fact I don't have the time to be writing letters. However, if they get my name and phone number I will do an interview.

The more important thing is the appeal that is being heard in April. I know exactly where this idiot is taking this case and I hope we don't get a "rookie", overworked and under paid legal counsel from the Attorney General's office.

hawk

• detective
    detective

Here's how to contact the Toronto Star:
    Send your contributions to Letters to the Editor via email to [email protected]; via fax to 416 869-4322; or by mail to One Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1E6.
    Letters must include full name, address, and phone numbers of sender. Street names and phone numbers will not be published.

• Scully
    Scully

I wonder if the WTS will cloud the issue with arguments such as, if she were pregnant and did not want to terminate on the basis of her religious beliefs, would the State intervene and force her to have an abortion, just because statistically it is in her own best interests to not have a child at her age.... Legally, she has the right to make the decision to abort or not, with or without her parents' knowledge or consent, at the age of 13, and obtain birth control with or without her parents' knowledge or consent.....

There are lots of ethical challenges surrounding the teen years in terms of medical decision making.

This will be an interesting case, I'm sure.

Love, Scully

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Scully, you are quite right. Those issues were brought up when the lawyer was interviewed on the radio this morning. He is basing his whole case on the issue of her being a mature minor and having rights over her own body. He almost seemed to be trying to ignore the issue of religion completely.
    It is going to be a complicted issue.

I think it would have got even more press, but we also have a 3 week old teachers strike here...or did..they were just ordered back to work, so that is going to get ugly, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit