Wedding gifts

by usualusername 9 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

What weird things have JWs asked for as wedding gifts?

usualusername

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The difference between the bridal showers/wedding gifts for my JW cousins and everyone else I know had me in tears. Altho we were not close, I liked my cousins. The Witnesses gave them gf shower gifts as wedding gifts. Irons, cheap mixers, bowls, etc. They were underage and knocked up so they had to estabish a household.

Wedding gifts range from crystal from Tiffany, art works, tickets to a Broadway play, silverplate, sterling, picture frames, --I can't think of how to put it in words. It is a permanent life-time gift vs. cheap appliances. It isn't the money.

Maybe I read too many etiquette books.

I was going to college and they were high school dropouts. It was so sad but no Witness saw the sadness. It almost makes me wonder if elders cannot count to nine. Full term babies and preemies look different. A four month pregnancy does not produce a full term baby.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Well, if I was knocked up and establishing a household, I would have really appreciated the 'cheapo' appliances, bowls, mixers, glassware. We realized we need items were not given because they are less glamourous, things like spatulas, pancake flipper, soup ladel, wire whisk, potato masher, can opener.just the stuff need to run a kitchen. I would never presume that my taste in art or crystal ,silverplate, or sterling. I had one sister give me a purely decorative item, it was pretty, but completely not my taste. It hid in the drawer for a while, then returned to the light, not long after, the toddler destroyed it...problem solved

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I've seen invitations requesting that you give the couple CASH.

DOC

• cantleave
    cantleave

I remember no one stuck to our wedding list at all for some reason people thought we needed a teasmade, towels and flan dishes. We didn't need to replace the towels for years we had so many.

I did see a wedding list that included household appliances and nothing under £50, on that occasion I ignored the list and gave them a flan dish perhaps they would know what to do with them.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I usually just write a check for a wedding. I figure they know what they need more than I do. But,most brides have a registry for shower gifts.

It seems like bridal showers are as big as the wedding now.

This reminds me of the time,my necklace fell off into a gift I was wrapping for a bridal shower. The bride- to -be thought that was part of the gift,before I even realized what happened.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I think it's a bit of a cultural thing. When I got married 20 years ago, some people gave us practical things like small appliances and towels, and some people gave us "heirloom" type things like picture frames and crystal pieces. We had both been living on our own, so we already had a lot of the basic household things. My father and step mother paid for the bulk of our honeymoon. Out of all the gifts, the honeymoon is the only thing that still holds any value for us. All the material gifts are long since worn out, broken, or stuck in a cabinet and forgotten, but I still remember that trip to Disney World.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Flan dishes, souffles dishes. I understand the practicality of potato mashers. They aren't that expensive but cumulatively, it comes to a lot of money. I am part of the nonJW school that you grow up first, stand on your own somewhat, and then marry.

I know few people who received many items from the Registry. Is cash so bad? One of my etiquette books suggested gardening items, gift certificates to Home Depot or a home decor store.

I suspect it all depends how independent you are when you marry. My freak out with my cousins was all the gifts were gifts of female toil. One cousin married a brother double her age. He was 34. His intentions were obvious. 17 years at 17 is different than 17 years at 30. I felt the overseer should have something to say to him about marriage and robbing the cradle. But then again he was male in a mostly female group. All, hail, the man.

• rebel8
    rebel8

In what manner did they "ask" for gifts?

Do you mean a gift registry or something else?

Dubs tend to be at the simian level of social etiquette (apologies to real monkeys) so I can totally see them requesting gifts.

The showers I went to and threw for others as a dub were pretty generous in terms of gifts. Marriage is a BFD in the dub world since they have little else to celebrate.

They usually did include the infamous tacky "registry card" and sometimes a list of their decorating themes and colors.

PS-I had to Google "teasmade". Are they better than teapots? I used to have a machine for making my espresso but I am back to a stovetop version which is just as simple and quick, easier to clean and makes better espresso.

• LV101
    LV101

I could not believe the strange gifts at the showers. Seemed all but 1% of the guests ignored the bridal registry. I'm sure it depends on one's rank in the hall (family's political position, etc.). Sad.

One witness ex-friend told me she felt it was rude for people to have registries and, bla, bla, a gift should be from the heart --- which is true, but shouldn't a gift be something that makes the recipient's heart glad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit