my wife saw shunning first hand

by Aussie Oz 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Well the other day we dropped daughter back to her mother, after what was a fabulous whole week with me.

Sitting on the verandah of the house is grandpa jw, about 80 and recently widowed. Now, he is my ex father in law and we got on very good back in the day, even helped build his house.

Anyway, i drop daughter off and i am looking at the man, who in the whole 10 mins that he sat there, gave one cursory glance our way as i stood on the footpath opposite the house talking to my kids.

This is a guy who will talk the leg off a chair, a guy who will start a conversation with a total stranger in the street, the man is a talker.

I mention to wife as we departed..."poor bastard, not even 'allowed' to say hello the father of his grandkids''. If i was not D/F i know he would have come over, no doubt whatsoever. I was married to his daughter for 16 years!

Well the wife is pretty disgusted by JWs. She realizes that my ex propbably wouldnt talk to me regardless of religion but this was a new person to her. I don't think she has ever seen somebody pretend i am invisible.

The more people see shunning in action, the more people will dismiss the JWs at the door.

Oz

• paladin
    paladin

Shunning has not happened to me yet, but if it does I will most definitely make verbal comment that it is emotional blackmail.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thanks for sharing Aussie Oz

It never ceases to amaze me how they cant see that this attitude is counterprductive to gaining new converts,hey don`t get me wrong I hope they never see it.

Glad you had a great week with your daughter

smiddy

• JAFO
    JAFO

So that's why you weren't here for a week.. I'm glad you had such an excellent reason for avoiding us all..

Say g'day to the missus for me..

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Yep.Glad she saw it actually.I think that sometimes people dont believe how extreme it is.Sorry that you had to be annoyed by those parasites,but you sound like a strong person.And you have all of us!

• exjehovah
    exjehovah

It is emotional blackmail and total manipulation. I think the shunning of family members is totally ridiculous and not Christian in any way.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think the shunning of family members is totally ridiculous and not Christian in any way.

Obviously UNCHRISTIAN. But JWs cannot not follow Christ by using their own conscience or good judgement.

They must follow the Governing Body, or they too will be subjected to the unchristian shunning by all their JW family and friends.

DOC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm really glad she saw that. That's the cult operating in full force on that one. You never know, he may have been sickenned by what he did

• Quendi
    Quendi

My father used to say, "I can show you better than I can tell you." That certainly applies in this case. No matter how much we may tell others how unloving, unchristian, unkind and hypocritical shunning is, nothing beats seeing it in action. Your ex father-in-law may well have felt pain in doing what he did. I know I wasn't too happy with myself when I shunned others, but I had bought into the lie that my actions were necessary to bring the "sinner" back to his senses and lovingly compel him to return "home". I know better now.

Your wife now has tangible proof that this group is a cult. She needs no further convincing. It is unfortunate that even though this hateful practice does no good to anyone, most Witnesses will blindly do it anyway. Their actions remind me of my dealings with hardened racists and bigots. By shutting their minds and hearts to others due to their unreasonable fears and prejudices, they impoverish themselves. Witnesses are no different in that respect.

Quendi

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So, are you trying to tell us that his shunning you isn't effective in motivating you to return to the JW fold?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit