Thinking Without Words

by DT 6 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

Is it possible to think without words?

I've heard many people claim that it's not possible. Recently another thread about evolution was sidetracked by this question.

I personally spend a lot of time thinking without words. I don't feel much of a need to defend this assertion. Instead, I would like to get some feedback on how many other people engage in nonverbal thinking. I also welcome the comments of those who claim that thought without words is impossible. I'm particularly interested in whether that claim is based on a different perception of the word "thinking", or if it is influenced by some people finding that nonverbal thought is difficult, uncomfortable or even impossible.

I welcome your comments.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

It is possible to think without words - obviously (most of our perceived reality is constructed without words) - however, words are like tools that better enable us to communicate, organise , categorise and theorise by associating meaning with sound (and normally other sensory inputs like vision.) Where words are powerful is that they allow repetition which wires the brain, thus when we enunciate or think of language that say degrades the opposite sex we are actually training our thought process. This is one of the reasons why the underpinnings of political correctness (however annoying) are actually correct. When we consciously train ourselves to avoid language based in prejudice we are a step closer to being less prejudiced as we are not refreshing prejudicial ideas - even if they are only by association. Words are also very inadequate to express emotion or feeling which is one reason why poetry works (its power is in associating concepts but leaving the bulk of the words out so allowing us to feel between the lines.)

Some languages allow you to perceive and conceive of new concepts (I never thought much about the varieties of snow but I can see how that might be important to another culture and may be reflected in their language) and in that aspect they are a form of art, words act as boundary indicators for our understanding.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

This also a premise in 1984 big brother...

Big brother systematicly deleting words in the newspeak dictionaries.

The concept being that once all words that can be used to have an individual thought are eradicated from all memory, then a person will not be able to commit thought crime because the words needed will not exist and after a generation will not even be remembered that they ever did exist...

oz

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

This is what I posted about the language of thought on QCMBR's runaway hit thread "Atheism 2.0":

As far as the "language of thought": although 99% of people will self-report thinking in terms of words or images, it is really unclear if either is truly the case. Although there is nothing conclusive, our brains may only be giving us the illusion of thinking in sentences and imagining scenes. The actual language of thought going on may be much more abstract.

I do know for a fact that mental images are not the same as visual images, even when quite "real." If anyone else has additional info on this, it would be interesting.

• JAFO
    JAFO

I'm told that some mathematicians can think in pure numbers..

• rebel8
    rebel8

Definitely possible--that's what babies do.

I still think w/o words often.

I also talk to myself daily. That is how I translate the thoughts into words--out loud. It's also how I rehearse explaining my thoughts to others. If I didn't talk to myself I would make no damn sense.

I wish my brain didn't work that way b/c people think I'm nuts, but it does.

• Terry
    Terry

What do I mean when I say: I think?

It may well be different than what you mean when you use the same words.

And, thus begins the problem with discussing ideas.

To communicate is to transfer meaning. How about an example?

A Baptist who engages a Jehovah's Witness in conversation discovers the startling fact they are using the same words but those same words have DIFFERENT meanings!

When a JW says "the Truth" it specifically means a different set of values, norms and descriptions than the more general usage of a Baptist.

Why?

Is it because they THINK DIFFERENTLY? Or....is it the othe way around?

Do we Think the way we do BECAUSE of the words we've been given containing connotations (meanings) grafted into them?

Each of us came from a different family, background, city, ethnicity, political enviornment and economic setting. Agreed?

When our Mother or caregivers spoke to us there were not only words but implications transferred to us as well.

"Sissy", "Man Up", "nice doggy", "damned cat", "police officer", "cop".....shaped, colored, shifted your values like programming a computer.

How you feel (emotions) follows those words. Words=values=meaning=YOUR WORLD VIEW.

We cut nature up, organize it into concepts, and ascribe significances as we do, largely because we are parties to an agreement to organize it in this way—OUR WORLD VIEW. It is put into us. We learn it. We think with it. It BECOMES the world in our thoughts.

A Quaker child views the world completely differently than a Muslim child living in Iran. A Black child in the 1800's viewed his world completely differently from a white child the same age. Words were spoken to them with dramatically different "meaning", implications, power, threats or information. THEY WERE GIVEN DIFFERENT WORLDS by those words.

The habitual use of words leads to habitual behaviors which follow the implied "reality" of them. One set of words "works" and another set fails.

Consider the following changes to our language. The older set of words and phrases creates one climate of thoughts, feelings and reactions in contrast to the substitute wording:

used car vs previously owned vehicle
    Secretary vs Administrative assistant
    housewife vs stay at home mom
    Stewardess vs Flight Attendant
    waiter/waitress vs Server
    Garbage removal vs Sanitation Service
    Gay marriage vs Same-sex marriage
    impotence vs erectile dysfunction
    cripple vs special needs

Understanding why you feel the way you do when you THINK can be traced to how you've been programmed by language in your version of the World.

To an Arab child the word: JEW creates contempt, animosity, hostility and negativity largely when that three-letter-word is loaded with those meanings in a religiously hostile enviornment.

To a Jehovah's Witness child the christian CROSS has been labeled as a FALSE symbol merely connoting wrong belief and an instrument of captial punishment by the Romans. But, to most christians, the CROSS creates a feeling of love and gratitude by their Savior who suffered FOR them.

Thinking in words is programming by implied meaning.

Russia's greatest poet is generally regarded to be Alexander Pushkin. Pushkin beautifully and masterfully employed the Russian language to full effect.

Americans cannot read Pushkin's poetry with the same mind, thinking, feeling and interpretation as a Russian reader. Why not? Because, the words are translated by necessity into something.....roughly....equivalent.

Shakespeare, the extraordinary English writer suffers a similar fate when translated into Russian.

Each of us comes from a family who thinks and speaks ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THOUGHTS using the same language as another family!

Imagine how different parts of the world employ our words with astoundingly different meanings!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit