How would SOPA affect us?

by Aussie Oz 19 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    1. Does this mean then that being able to quote limited portions of books etc as is allowed under copyright laws curently will no longer be legal?

I really don't know, but from what I've read, it opens the door to all kinds of things. Even American libraries are afraid that it might open them to prosecution.

Continuing the theme from my previous post, here is the same observation made from a Republican-oriented political website:

http://marathonpundit.blogspot.com/2012/01/gop-is-with-it-in-opposing-sopa-and.html

GOP is "with it" in opposing SOPA and PIPA

Support for the overreaching SOPA and PIPA anti-piracy bills is crumbling. While I oppose the theft a creative work these bills go too far--the cure is worse than the disease. I'm glad that Wikipedia went "dark" today, by muzzling itself it sent a reverberating message that SOPA and PIPA are an anathema to the internet as we know it.

Who heard the message? At least 31 senators and the House members declared their opposition to the bills today--28 of them are Republicans.

Odd...that I always hear that it's the Democrats who are the tech and web savvy ones.

But it's the GOP who are "with it."

A special shout-out goes to the Illinois members of Congress who saw the light today: Congressmen John Shimkus of Collinsville, Adam Kinzinger of Manteno, Bob Dold of Kenilworth, Joe Walsh of McHenry, and Senator Mark Kirk of Highland Park--all of them are Republicans.

Democrats better get with it.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Then this also means that the Watchtower will not be able to quote anybody else in its propaganda rags either does it not? The illegality to quote from researchers, other documents etc would stop vertualy stop all writing if it was inforced.

I personaly feel this may be a storm in a tea cup, perhaps a big tea cup, but in the main will be way to hard to police and litigate. Everone has a particular feild that they fear will be impacted adversly.

Libraries fearing having books on the shelf? I think they are taking it to the extreme. Make no mistake i am not pro SOPA but the whole of the world is full of laws that never get policed like i am sure its still copyright infringement to record your favorite TV shows but nobody gives a shit.

I cant see the WT suing me for quoting from the 1975 watchtower or whatever, perhaps they will be allowed to sue Simon or the ISP for letting me quote it?

Even if it does go that far...plenty of underground ways to get the word out, plenty of computer savvy ways around things, plenty of voices that will scream to be heard. What will be needed is revolt by joe average to destroy the legislation if it does go to far.

The public are far more informed than the Proles in 1984...who despite being 85% of the population were too dumbed down to fight big brother.

Oz

• rebel8
    rebel8

I haven't read the law and all, but Simon isn't in the US so I am wondering how this could possibly affect him?

• darthfader
    darthfader

this site can have a claim raised by a 'copyright owner' and the government could have your ISP block it.... so no site would be safe from censorship.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

To botchtower:

I never said Democrats did not vote for it, buddy.

Too many Dems voted for it.

But there are more Repubs than Dems in the Congress, and that's too bad.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

rebel8, I'm no expert as I'm really not all that smart, but my understanding of SOPA is that sites hosted outside the US but accessible in the US (I'm not sure exactly where this site is hosted) are really its primary target. If this legislation passes as-is, then a copyright holder, SUCH AS THE WBTS, could file a complaint with the Justice Department naming JWN and others as infringers on their copyrights. The Justice Department could then have US traffic to this site BLOCKED, just based on a simple allegation and nothing more. It's scary shit. You KNOW the WBTS would go Theocratic Warfare APESHIT BERZERK on ex-JW sites such as this one if these laws pass. SHUDDER!

Here's a visual aid:

http://americancensorship.org/infographic.html

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

To Rebel 8.

Canada has a puppet running Canada and the strings are controlled by D.C.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

It would have a chilling effect on free speech. The consequences for being accused of a violation and the difficulty of clearing yourself will lead to extensive self-censorship, especially if the use is legal, but causes somebody else discomfort (fair use quotations of WTBTS publications, for example). Even those with the resources and the will to mount a vigorous defense could fall victim to death by a thousand cuts--being hit with so many claims against them that it would be impossible to respond to them all.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

If this legislation passes as-is, then a copyright holder, SUCH AS THE WBTS, could file a complaint with the Justice Department naming JWN and others as infringers on their copyrights. The Justice Department could then have US traffic to this site BLOCKED

Worst case scenario no doubt but...

There would have to be a lot of bargaining and compromise to get this bill passed i am sure.

Another thing i would be reasonably sure of is that the small % of other copyrighted works that is presently allowed would have to be protected or no site could ever quote another, no writer could never quote another and the WT could never (Mis)quote another source either.

Oz

Perhaps ome day all websites will be hosted in some off shore hidey hole like tax havens...

• Terry
    Terry

I must confess I was pretty late in discovering an important principle of POWER PLAYS that humanity always seems to fall for.

When somebody wants to control you, get power over you, get you to give up some part of your personal freedom they do this.

1.Create a FEAR by point to a "danger to a good cause."

2. Call for a SOLUTION

3. Put themselves in charge of providing that solution

4.Remove your range of choice and substitute their power to control.

SOPA does this

1. Stealing intellectual property is a good cause which Hollywood (among others) fear

2.Legislation called SOPA is the solution

3.Government Control becomes that solution

4.Freedom of the Internet becomes whatever GOVERNMENT wants to decide it "should" be.

Bottom line? The political party mindset BECOMES your mediator.

Winners? Political Powerbrokers

Losers? We the people standing outside hoping the gatekeepers let us pass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit