Phone witnessing??

by OneDayillBeFree 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

My friends pioneer sister in law had a hook-up that's totally familiar with robocalls, don't know if she had to individually dial each number but it was a pre-recorded message that just filled in everyone's name to give that "personal feel" !

Wonder how much time she put down every week for that ? ! ?

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Years ago, I was a bill collector. People would regularly hang up on me and/or curse me out...I got paid to be insulted and rudely treated. The thought of having people who are not interest and annoyed, that they are being bothered by people they have worked hard to ignore when they come to their door uninvited, swearing at me and hanging up, and me paying for it to happen, is untolerable!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Did it once and hated it!

This past summer I received a hand written letter by some sister in the local hall. I guess all the neighbors got one (the witnesses are not allowed in my housing development). It had to have taken at least 30 minutes to write. What a terrible waste of time to hand write letters to 85 townhomes.

• stillin
    stillin

It is clearly NOT for the benefit of the one recieving the phone call. It is for the self-serving sense of self-righteousness that one can stake a claim on after having spent all of that "neighbor love" in such a useless way.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never engaged in that waste of time and money.

First, that eliminates excuses for not going out in field circus. How many people enjoyed those snow days? Or, when it was too hot and muggy to go out in field circus. Or, if it was raining or a thunderstorm made it too dangerous to go out, or you are afraid your littera-trash would get soaking wet. (Yes, with cell phones, you are supposed to witless by phone during thunderstorms.) Or your car was broken down or otherwise in use. Or, you don't have time to make it out before dark--it is 7 PM. People are supposed to waste their time on the phone (and letter writing, which is an even bigger waste of time) during those off times. Phone and letter witlessing is designed to eliminate all those little pockets of time to do other things.

Another thing it does is wastes money. If you use a cell phone, you are being charged per minute for air time. Some plans offer a flat rate, but they are very expensive. Others offer buckets of minutes--usually around 1,000 minutes per month. That sounds like a lot. In reality, it is 16 2/3 hours per month. Additionally, if you initiate a call and they hang up in 2 seconds upon seeing that you are a witless, that call costs a whole minute. That can add up--exceed your allotment, and you are looking at extra charges.

From a land phone, it is different. Usually, you are allowed 50 or 80 "message units" per month before you start running into extra charges. I don't know what one "message unit" is, but at best it is one call (longer calls may be broken down into units so you get billed more). Usually, since they hang up quickly, that is effectively 50 or 80 calls per month. If you get into a longer discussion, you might find out what a "message unit" really is. And since you can easily go through 25 hang up calls per hour, you are looking at 2-3 hours of field circus before running out of "message units". You can easily run through another 200 or more calls if you are going to do 10 hours a month by phone. Again, flat rate local calling is more expensive just to do this rubbish. And that doesn't even include tolls--if one or more numbers is "long distance", your bills can really add up.

Which leaves the Internet based phone. If you have broadband, you can use the Internet to simulate phone calls. Problem is, the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger really looks down on people going online. Plus, you need to get expensive equipment (usually including a computer) to make this work, or lease equipment from a provider. That is the cheapest way to go, but the recipient must usually have access to the Internet (and will usually promptly research the religion).

And there is the guilt price. They rant about how people who are invalid are able to pious-sneer using their phones, so everyone should be able to pious-sneer. What they omit is that invalid people don't have to work for a living (they usually get disability), freeing up time to waste on witlessing. Also, they can't go out and enjoy things like able-bodied people can, and thus have less to give up. Able bodied people that have to work for a living have a higher opportunity cost to phone witlessing than invalids. But they use this anyways to get everyone to stay up until 2 AM placing phone calls (and writing letters). It also fills in those blocks of time--if you get up at 9:30 and take care of errands before 1 PM, you are stealing from Jehovah by not wasting it instead by placing phone calls.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes Stupid as always I did it !!!when my arth:was too painful to go knocking on doors.... Yes I made a woman a JW by at first

by calling often. first contact by phone...Then I went to see her. Had to walk a long way!!no money for bus tickets..
    Oh why did you remind me??? What a bloody fool I was( and I guess I am) to tell you all how MINDCUFFED I truly was...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit