Going to Apostate Church

by DilemmaGF 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• DilemmaGF
    DilemmaGF

How many of you had gone visiting any apostate church when you were still in? What was your feeling? My bf went to my church with me once, I wonder how he felt...

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

What is "apostate church"?

• DilemmaGF
    DilemmaGF

Churches in the Christendom - other than the Kingdom Hall

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

I've been while in, my husband's never been a JW. It bothered me quite a lot to be there, even after I left, but finally I realized there was nothing scary about it and that KHs are the real scary places.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When I was younger my parents had a contract to clean a church's offices and classrooms. Since we didn't melt at the threshold of the church and nothing else bad happened I got over my fear of churches and have fearlessly entered quite a few since then.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The first church I entered as a JW was the Vatican! As an art and history lover, I saw it more from those angles, although the brain-washed part of me saw it as "Babylon the Great".

After I left the JWs, an ex-JW couple invited me to attend their church. It was a small but very old Anglican church, one that I could have imagined my grandparents attending. It was nice and simple. I was slightly apprehensive at first, but I soon realised it was just a building filled with people who wanted to worship their God.

Ten yrs later, I don't have any problems with entering a church. I'm no longer a believer in God, but I respect people's right to worship.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Been in churches several times as a JW, usually for funerals. The earliest time I can remember, I went to a church as a little girl with my elder father and other JW relatives for my uncle's wedding. Been in 2 mosques.

• steve2
    steve2

My JW maternal grandfather took me to one of his fellow worker's funerals in the Methodist church when I was about 8. My JW maternal grandmother refused to go and questioned me very closely afterwards about whether I had kept my eyes opened during their prayers (I was told to keep my eyes open because the minister would be praying to Satan). My grandfather told me also to remain seated and not to sing any of the hymns (which was fine because I didn't know them). It was bor-ing - but truth be told, about as boring as the meetings in the kingdom hall - but a least I could move about more there!

• designs
    designs

Baptist, Presbyterian, Catholic, Jewish Synagogue and more. The Presbyterians were interesting or perhaps entertaining for the poofs that gave the services, I don't get how people can not laugh out loud when the pastor looks at the ceiling and points to the big guy in the sky, had to bite my lip.

• Apt1201
    Apt1201

I remember we went to Sydney for a weekend with a JW friend. Going to Sydney from where we were from was a big deal to go to the City!!

As we walked past a church he went inside to have a look. I stopped at the doorway and watched as he even put some money in a poor box. I was stunned and told him that was a bad thing to do. He just laughed and said he liked looking at teh architecture. Not sure I beleived that then.........

Funny, as I now love that old church. Grand old sandstone building, but I still hesitatnt to walk inside any of them.

It does not stop me going in, just still recall the old habits I guess.

Loved the Vatican and yes, as stated above, I said to my wife as we were walking through, Mum would not like this.

She would be thinking of all the riches gathered that should be distibuted.

They miss out on so much. Said to my older brother about our visit to Rome, and he replied, Yes I would like to see some of that now as it won't be there in the New System. I had trouble not to laugh at him. Sad, sad people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit