Over half a million $$$ to put up a wall of greenery at the Assembly Hall in Ajalvir, Spain

by illoowy 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• illoowy
    illoowy

How would you react if someone quoted you a price of over half a million US Dollar$ to put up a wall of greenery at the Assembly Hall in Ajalvir, Spain?

JHK's blog quotes Spanish ex-jw's forum member Nizam saying that the Spanish brothers are aghast with the plan to close down the Assembly Hall at Ajalvir, Torrejon, (near Madrid), Spain.

The renovation will replace an outside terrace with a wall of greenery. The cost of the project which will be accomplished with volunteer labor and some equipment will take four months to complete. During that time the Assembly Hall will not be available for assemblies.

While the local congregations pass motions to contribute moneys to support the re-modeling that seem unanimous, among some elders there's elevated expressions of disbelief. How can they be asking for so much money for this type of thing when so many are having a real tough time economically?

Interesting note: Pricey renovations are going to be underway in several branches.

Here below is the text of letter sent to BOEs in Chile documenting on another of these projects. Nizam has posted the original as a pdf at:

http://www.extj.com/showthread.php?20393-Saln-Asambleas-Ajalvir-Espaa-A-rascarse-los-bolsillos

DEPARTAMENTO DE SERVICIO

SDE 30 de agosto de 2011

A LOS ANCIANOS DE LOS CIRCUITOS M-02, M-03, M-04, M-07, M-08, M-09, M-10, M-24 Y C-10

Asunto: Salón de Asambleas El Trébol

Estimados hermanos:

Se está analizando la factibilidad de cerrar una porción del Salón de Asambleas El Trébol durante la época de las asambleas de circuito a fin de lograr un ambiente más cómodo para los asistentes. Como paso inicial, debe hacerse una encuesta para determinar si las congregaciones estarían de acuerdo en hacerlo, y si pueden suministrar suficiente apoyo económico. Como toda obra de construcción toma tiempo, estamos pidiendo su colaboración con carácter de urgente.

Hemos adjuntado un dibujo sencillo del proyecto propuesto. Este proyecto consiste en cerrar el primer anillo de asientos (unos 2.584) con paneles traslúcidos movibles y un cielo suspendido. Para las asambleas de distrito, se sacarían los paneles para abrir todo el auditorio (el cielo

suspendido quedaría). El costo aproximado sería de unos $140.295.000 pesos, o sea, $8.522 pesos por publicador. Aunque no sería necesario contar con el total del dinero para comenzar el proyecto, está claro que haría falta cierto compromiso económico para financiarlo.

Si ustedes están de acuerdo en apoyar el proyecto, determinen cuánto creen que la congregación podría contribuir mensualmente, para financiar la construcción. Como referencia, si cada congregación aportara mensualmente 72 pesos por publicador, la construcción se financiaría en su totalidad en diez años.

Preparen una resolución para la aprobación de los publicadores. Una vez finalizada su próxima reunión, lean a la congregación la carta adjunta y, después, la resolución estipulando el aporte mensual sugerido por el cuerpo de ancianos. Si les resulta práctico, pueden imprimir varios ejemplares del dibujo adjunto y distribuirlos. Luego, pidan a los publicadores que levanten la mano si están de acuerdo con la resolución. Si la mayoría lo está, pídanles que cada familia (o publicador solo) analice bajo oración cuánto apoyo económico podría dar. Después, en la próxima reunión, deben depositar en cualquier caja de aporte una hojita con dos cifras:

1) el monto que la familia o publicador podría aportar mensualmente, y

2) la cantidad que podría aportar cada día de asamblea (3 días en el año).

Estamos adjuntando una hoja que ustedes pueden imprimir cuántas veces necesiten, y luego recortar para entregar una hojita a cada cabeza de familia y publicador solo. (Los hermanos no deben poner su nombre en la hoja, solo las dos cifras.) Esta encuesta revelará si la congregación podrá cumplir con la resolución y costear los gastos de operación y mantenimiento.

El secretario recogerá las hojas y sumará por separado el monto que los publicadores pueden aportar 1) mensualmente y 2) cada día de asamblea. Después, enviará un correo electrónico a la dirección [email protected] con el nombre de la congregación y tres cifras: el monto que la congregación aportaría mensualmente según la resolución y los montos que los publicadores indicaron que podrían aportar mensualmente y cada día de asamblea. Les rogamos responder para el lunes 19 de septiembre a más tardar. Por supuesto, si no están de acuerdo con la propuesta, deben indicárnoslo en un mensaje a la misma dirección electrónica.

Si el proyecto resulta factible, programaremos una reunión con los ancianos para entregar más detalles y responder sus preguntas. Por lo tanto, no será necesario que hagan más que lo que les estamos solicitando en esta carta hasta recibir más información. Oremos todos para que Jehová guíe este proceso a fin de que ‘se efectúe su voluntad’ al respecto (Mat. 6:10).

Reciban nuestros sinceros saludos y amor fraternal.

Sus hermanos,

Asociación Cristiana
    Testigos de Jehová

• Listener
    Listener

No wonder some elders are in disbelief. If the witnessing work is so important why will they use JWs time on all this renovation work? It sounds like they have come up with a way to increase the value of the properties so it will be interesting to see how soon they sell them off.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Bastards. I bet they plan on selling it and making a killing. Of course all that money will funnel back to the US branch.

• Azazel
    Azazel

Remember the building belongs to God"aka WTS" so anything to make it pretty is acceptable and funded by the fleecing the flock!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Meanwhile, African JWs sit on logs in huts with no walls.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

They're asking for $13/publisher while the average income for a family is $16/day. Have fun with 2 parents and 2 baptized kids donating a week's income. And we all know a JW sample is representative for the "average" population (NOT). 5% of their country lives on less than $2 a day.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

A business disguised as a religion.

Bangalore

• designs
    designs

Boycott the program, no more money.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is a complete waste of money. I wonder what would happen if I put 500,000 toilet papers into a nice Christmas showcase--at least that would be worthwhile for people in attendance.

And for what. They make those things look so beautiful from the outside, but all you hear inside is rubbish. That, to me, is like cleaning the outside of the cup while leaving the inside filthy dirty. They will not be getting so much as one swastika of money out of me (and, believe me, that is what I see our currency heading). They simply don't deserve anything--when they are going to pretty something up that is filth inside, it is still filth.

I think I will stick with my Christmas decorations. At least (1) it is my own money and labor, and (2) it is something I enjoy doing and seeing the results of it.

• illoowy
    illoowy

Here's a translation of the last part of the letter posted by Nizam (the intrepid Spanish mole and spiritual super spy :-) I've bolded and underlined parts that I thought quite interesting:

"We are enclosing a form sheet you may print as many times as needed, then cut slips to hand out only to every head of house who is a publisher . ( The brothers must put their name on the sheet , with only the two amount figures. ) This survey will reveal whether the congregation may comply with the resolution and can pay for the operation and maintenance costs .

"The secretary will collect the slips of paper and add separately the amount that publishers can provide 1) per month and 2) each day of the assembly .

"Then send an email to the address [email protected] with the name of the congregation and the three figures: the amount that the congregation would bring monthly depending on the resolution and the amounts indicated that the publishers could provide monthly and each day of the assembly. Please respond by Monday 19 September at the latest. Of course, if you do not agree with the proposal you should indicate it in a message to the same address."

So what do you think will happen if indeed anyone does "not agree with the proposal" and does follow instructions to write in saying so?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit