WT April 1, 2002 on Baptism

by badwillie 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• animal
    animal

Sure there is coersion(sp)..... they just dont use that term. Back in the 70's, the common form was using peer pressure. Along with that came pressure from parents who, lacking much else in thier lives, wanted the "honor" and attention given them when thier child takes the dip.

Back in the early 70's, a new building was built up near Allentown, PA... It was to be used for the big meetings (district?) and held thousands of people. Thats right, it was in Grantville, PA. Anyhow, we would drive up there from Drexel Hill on weekends and help build the place. I remember when they were pouring the baptism pool, all us kids were asked which of us would be the first one to get baptized in it. Shit.... talk about competition. Needless to say, I didnt take peer pressure well. I was baptized there, the first time the had a meeting, a big meeting.

I was tossed about 8 years later.... via a letter.... for smoking. HA! You can beat your kids, bang each others wives, even drink beer in excess... but dont smoke!

Animal (Rick henry, for those that may know me)

• garybuss
    garybuss

Some of the tactics used to baptize and trap new members are coercion, manipulation, intimidation, undue influence, persuasion, deceit, and gross dishonesty. Few, if any baptisms done by this group were done with any ethics at all.

The program of juvenile baptism is closely related to the family merit doctrine. This is one of Jehovah's Witnesss' most interesting doctrines.

It conveys the idea that salvation from being killed by their god is assured to those children under *family merit*. The *family merit* expires with the maturation of the genitals.

Just look up the term *family merit* on the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation produced CD.

gb

• heathen
    heathen

Let me see if I have this straight -mindfield ,you are saying that the jw had you in the door to door ministry and doing public talks in the theocratic ministry school and you where never baptized a christian? geeeeeeezz what's wrong with this picture?Makes no sense to me at all .
    garybuss -you are saying that they believe in some kind of wacko family merit system where they can baptize children but they still don't have any accountability ( just so they won't be destroyed at armageddon ) ,that is totally ludicrous.
    I was reading the April 1 wt and about the baptism ,I couldn't get past the part it said accurate knowledge is a prefix to baptizm.One minute they say baptizm is voluntary the next they are saying you have to be approved by an organization.This is a total insult to my intelligence.To me training someone to be a minister before they have even officially converted to the religion is pointless.

• LB
    LB

I recall a KM with an article that said Baptism is essential to survival.

Who was coerced??

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• mindfield
    mindfield

That's right heathen. I was never baptized, but I still made some great number 2 talks. You know, those 5 minute talks those still "progressing" in the truth can make. It was very amusing. Especially when the elders came to the chase afterwards...

*sigh*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit